No announcement yet.

Needing guidance on a truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your tundra, have 150,000 on mine and replaced battery and kept up with maintenance. Drives like the day I bought it. If I was to jump ship, probably go with 6.2 chevy1500 truck.

Comment

Needing guidance on a truck

The modern emissions diesels are not recommended to idle for long periods.

No doubt once you hook a load behind a diesel, there is no comparison when talking power and fuel mileage. Every day driving around gas and diesel are going to be somewhat comparable.

You just have to decide if the extra $8-$10k up front cost is justified or not.

And just remember, EVERYTHING costs more to repair/replace on an HD truck, gas or diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Mike D; 04-09-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I honestly believe that the newer 1500 5.3s that Chevy and gmcs have pills just as good as the mid 2000 6.0s. I have a 2005 5.3 and my dad has a 2015 5.3. All geared the same and his truck will whoop mine just pulling a crew cab ranger. And I’ve ridden with the 6.0s with the same year as my truck and don’t see any difference in that and the 2015 5.3. And the 5.3 gets 18+ mpg depending how you drive it. If I went the diesel route I’d either go duramax or the 6.7 f250. But duramax has always been a solid engine and imo the Allison tranny is the best transmission made. Diesels are just so much more expensive with everything on it if you could do the same with a gasser that you can with a diesel I’d go with the gasser

Comment

Bottom line is it will ALWAYS be cheaper to fix a truck than buy a new one. If you want to buy a new truck go for it, but buying new one will never be cheaper. Repair costs are not a valid argument to justify buying a new one....never has been and never will be.

I want a new diesel so bad I can taste it but I can't make the math work. Assume you spend $3k a year to keep an old truck going (which is a crazy number), that's basically a $300/month truck payment. Try to figure that against what a new truck costs.

I drive an 02 7.3 with 299k on it. I can put a new engine in it for $4700, a new built tranny for $3500. I'm rebuilding the front end right now for $1200. I won't be surprised if this truck is still rolling strong at 550-600k miles. I have a BS and a MS in Mechanical Engineering along with an MBA and I still haven't figured out yet how to make a new $68,000 truck make sound financial sense.

If you want a new truck though, go get ya one. It's your money brother and I won't ever say a word to a man about how he spends what he makes. They sure are pretty and ride nice....that's why I want one so bad !!!!
          Last edited by 175gr7.62; 04-09-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Diesels are too heavy they cannot idle without going to the shop for particulate filter manual flush. They get stuck in a minute. But they will pull a barn down I had diesels for 15 years and loved the early ones but I like you office out of my truck and I switched to the F 250. 4 x 4. I love it, may not go back to diesel unless they get on top of that idle situation, power down in the middle of nowhere trying to get to dealership for. 450.00 manual flush is crummy, 50 mph if your lucky,

Comment

I hadn’t mentioned it’s not just the repairs for the tundra though it sure made me eat crow since I’ve always talked a good game about how Toyota’s last longer than Chevy, ford and dodge. This is why I’ve decided they’re all the same as far as durability. Just my opinion. I’ve also got to get something with a big cab AND a larger bed. My tundras bed will either let me have the toolbox or the atv. Sometimes I don’t want to tow the wheeler but instead stuck it in the back. But with a 5.5 bed it’s one of the other witch is a pain. I just replaced my front and rear diff oil and transfer case oil today. I like doing all my own maintenance and I hate the thought of learning a totally new vehicle but they don’t make tundras with the crewmax and the longer bed. I just looked at the prices and of everything and all the males are mostly the same. Are all of the chevys steering columns off centered? My wife’s Tahoe is. Just drove that thing to Dallas and the ride was horrible I assume because the steering wheel is not centered with the drivers seat. I never noticed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

***models. Stupid AC.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                  I hadn’t mentioned it’s not just the repairs for the tundra though it sure made me eat crow since I’ve always talked a good game about how Toyota’s last longer than Chevy, ford and dodge. This is why I’ve decided they’re all the same as far as durability. Just my opinion. I’ve also got to get something with a big cab AND a larger bed. My tundras bed will either let me have the toolbox or the atv. Sometimes I don’t want to tow the wheeler but instead stuck it in the back. But with a 5.5 bed it’s one of the other witch is a pain. I just replaced my front and rear diff oil and transfer case oil today. I like doing all my own maintenance and I hate the thought of learning a totally new vehicle but they don’t make tundras with the crewmax and the longer bed. I just looked at the prices and of everything and all the males are mostly the same. Are all of the chevys steering columns off centered? My wife’s Tahoe is. Just drove that thing to Dallas and the ride was horrible I assume because the steering wheel is not centered with the drivers seat. I never noticed that.

Went from a Tundra CrewMax to a Chevy 2500 for similar reasons. Gas mileage is about the same, seats are way more comfortable in the Chevy, and parts are cheaper for Chevrolet because they are domestics.

Comment

If you do decide Diesel is the route, then don’t go Chevy for your uses. The new L5P currently can’t be deleted, and if you idle much you’ll want to delete it. Personally I think any of the 3 in a gasser 3/4 Ton would suit you just fine.

Comment

Ok guys I think y’all convinced me to do enough research that getting the gas version of a HD truck is the way to go. I just don’t want to spend the extra on the diesel anyway unless we actually do purchase the larger trailer. And I won’t be doing that in the next couple of years anyway. Now I’ll just have to find out the best time to buy. Memorial Day always has some good deals and right now ram has a deal for the 2500 series hemi trucks. I’ll try to spend some time driving the three and see what feels best. Thank y’all for all of the knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                      X