Trip recomemdations:Mountain bike/fly fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip recomemdations:Mountain bike/fly fishing

A couple buddies and I do a mountain bike trip every spring. This year we’d like to parlay the trip with some fly fishing. Anyone know some areas with decent spots for each activity in close proximity to each other? Within 5 hrs of DFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
    A couple buddies and I do a mountain bike trip every spring. This year we’d like to parlay the trip with some fly fishing. Anyone know some areas with decent spots for each activity in close proximity to each other? Within 5 hrs of DFW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Google Gastons on the river
    White river north Arkansas, bull wholes lake may have some good biketrails

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip. White River (Gastons/Bull Shoals) is a little further than 6 hours from DFW, and I'm not sure how much biking there is in the area. I did see one trail on the entrance to the state park there, but didn't ride it.

Depending on the time of year, maybe somewhere around canyon lake, Guadalupe river area might have what you are looking for. Going early so there are still trout surviving in the river would be best.

New Mexico and Colorado are both outside of your distance parameters, but they would both have biking/fishing opportunities readily available.

Comment

I didn't fly fish just mountain biked, but the Womble Trail near Mt. Ida, Arkansas is within your target distance. There are lots of mountain streams and rivers in the area that might have trout.

Comment

Walnut Creek park in Austin has some of my favorite trails anywhere. Brushy Creek Park up in Round Rock is also a lot of fun, and the Goodwater trail in Lake Georgetown is awesome if you want the wilderness experience. Bring a lot of spare tubes for that one. Everyone had multiple flats.

I never made it down to fish the Guadalupe when I lived there, but it is the place to go in the area from what I’ve heard.

Comment

Working...
          X