What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

So I ended up buying a truck. Wife pushed for me to get something newer and more reliable for the little one as opposed to a high mileage truck.

Last Friday I worked a good deal on a 16 F250 with only 37K miles. Pretty proud of the deal I got, and figured we were set now. I get 40 miles from the dealership and the truck dies on me. I pull over, gave it a minute, and tried to crank it again. She starts right up, so I continue as it was already late and I had cattle to feed. I called the dealership to let them know something wasnt right. It ends up doing this 3 more times, but gets me home. I was instructed to take it to the nearest Ford dealership to see what was wrong.

I get a call today and its not good. Apparently the previous owner had put DEF in the fuel tank, and the truck was going to need a complete overhaul of the fuel system. Basically everything that fuel touches will need to get replaced, with a bill expected to be around $15K. Doesnt make a difference to me, as the dealership I bought it from (not a Ford dealership) is on the hook for the repairs (glad I pushed for a 1 yr warranty).

Here is my dilemma. I have the option of them taking the truck back, or fixing it. Part of me wants to let them have it back, as this truck will now have major repairs on the Carfax (I assume) and might hurt my resale. Plus, what issues could pop up later down the road? My mechanic said if they do a 100% overhaul I may not have anything to worry about, but you never know. I would have a brand new fuel system. Or they take the truck back, and I lose my good deal, time spent purchasing the vehicle, and back to the truck search.

I think Im leaning towards them taking the truck back, unless they can restructure my deal with some monetary compensation for all this and maybe a longer warranty.

Thoughts?

Let them take it back. Why deal with the stress/headache of any long term damage down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take the truck back and continue your search.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        Take the truck back and continue your search.
        this

Comment

Take the Ford estimate and get that 15k direct.

Then take the truck to a good mechanic to change filters and clean fuel system.

Then pocket the 12k and move on. Truck should be good after filters and cleaning of system.

Comment

Take it back to em and let em have. I bet you can find another good deal out there somewhere.

Comment

A cheap lemon is still a lemon

Comment

Diesels get expensive when in the shop. I would give it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                  Take the Ford estimate and get that 15k direct.

Then take the truck to a good mechanic to change filters and clean fuel system.

Then pocket the 12k , delete the **** out of it.. and move on. Truck should be good after filters and cleaning of system.
                  fify

Comment

Take it the *** back!

If the previous owner was stupid enough to put DEF in the fuel tank......no telling what other dumb arse stuff he did to it.
                    Last edited by Traildust; 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      A cheap lemon is still a lemon

This.

And as already mentioned, if they put DEF in the fuel tank then what other things may be wrong?

Comment

Send it back.

Listen to the advice in this thread vs your last truck thread

Last edited by TxAg; 05-01-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Let'em have it back

Comment

If the car salesman pulled this I would send it back and get something else from,somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Send it back.

Listen to the advice in this thread vs your last truck thread

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=F250
                              I tried! Trying to find something not too high in miles that appeased the wife was tough! Needing a truck bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X