No announcement yet.

.45-70 i dont get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read the over the counter stuff is on the weak side due to older guns that will still function and to get the true potential out of it in a modern gun with a strong action, reloading is necessary... Truth??

Comment

well i think it is a cool caliber and it would be an awesome bear gun. The reason I ask is because my stepdad and dad had to have one and they never hunt with them just bring them out of the closet to show them off. lol

Comment

Woo doggie, I love the 45-70! It is a crap load of power in a very small, easy handling package. Perhaps it is the heavy bullet at moderate velocities or something else, but it's recoil is right at the maximum of what I can handle shooting all day. It has conditioned me to shoot heavy recoiling rifles such that a 300 Win mag or 375 Ruger are no big deal.

I load my Marlin Guide Gun up with 300gr hard cast bullets to 2200fps. That load will go through a couple deer lengthwise and will completely vaporize a cinder block...also shot lengthwise. It's just a hell of a lot of horsepower in a quick handling classic firearm that is fully capable of dropping an elk past 200yds.

Now my other little dandy is even MORE quick handling, but you pay a severe cost in recoil with it. I took a H&R single shot and cut it down and replaced the stock with a lightweight youth set. The finished product is less than 30" long and weighs less than 6lbs. I only shoot factory 300gr JHP in it, since I don't intend to aim past 50yds with it.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          When you hunt with one you don't have to ask yourself "Do I have enough gun?" because you already know the answer.
          That would depend on where you hunt, it is a bit light for Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro1970 View Post
            I've read the over the counter stuff is on the weak side due to older guns that will still function and to get the true potential out of it in a modern gun with a strong action, reloading is necessary... Truth??
            Yes--from a safety and liability perspective, the old original trapdoor Springfields can't handle the chamber pressures that a modern firearm can handle. So--the factory loads are mild.

The modern lever guns handle a much higher pressure, with the Ruger #1 handling the highest--safely. The Hodgdon data shows max pressures for trapdoor-type loads around 25,000 CUP, with max pressures for lever guns up to 40,000 CUP. Working pressures for the Ruger#1 & #3, plus the Browning 1895 go as high as 50,000 CUP. I worked up a load for a buddy's Marlin using the Barnes 300-gr HP bullets. I think the muzzle velocity was 2300fps + but don't quote me on that. We named that rifle the "Ham Slammer." After a few range sessions, I told him "no mas" unless he let me put a recoil pad on it--and I'm not recoil-sensitive. Put a Pachmayr Decellerator on it and it was OK to shoot.
            Last edited by dustoffer; 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              Yes--from a safety and liability perspective, the old original trapdoor Springfields can't handle the chamber pressures that a modern firearm can handle. So--the factory loads are mild.

The modern lever guns handle a much higher pressure, with the Ruger #1 handling the highest--safely. The Hodgdon data shows max pressures for trapdoor-type loads around 25,000 CUP, with max pressures for lever guns up to 40,000 CUP. Working pressures for the Ruger#1 & #3, plus the Browning 1895 go as high as 50,000 CUP. I worked up a load for a buddy's Marlin using the Barnes 300-gr HP bullets. I think the muzzle velocity was 2300fps + but don't quote me on that. We named that rifle the "Ham Slammer." After a few range sessions, I told him "no mas" unless he let me put a recoil pad on it--and I'm not recoil-sensitive. Put a Pachmayr Decellerator on it and it was OK to shoot.
              That's like a mini 450 win mag eh??

Comment

The 45/70 has taken the Big five more than several times , look up Garrett ammo...
                ,,,Sam,,,,

Comment

Had a lil H&R 45/70 that would knock your eye teeth out shooting reloads thru it but wasn't to bad with factory loads. In Miss and La you can hunt primitive season ( muzzle loader) with these kinda guns. I want a marlin lever gun to throw in the truck and shoot pigs with. Oh and don't let the big bulk bullet fool ya, if I remember correctly there was a soldier at the battle of the little big horn killed an Indian off his horse with a shot from over a mile away. And that was the black powder loaded 45/70

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro1970 View Post
                    If I'm not mistakin that's why the 450 Marlin was born.

Comment

Great old cartridge .... All three of my sons killed their first deer with it using 300 grain hollow point.

Comment

A good hit with a 45-70 = no need to track. It is my Sunday morning gun since I usually leave the ranch as early as possible Sunday to get home and get ready for work on Monday.

Comment

I stand corrected after reading it wasn't the bighorn it was in adobe walls, tx where they shot the Indian chief at a mile with the black powder 45/70. Google 1 mile shot with 45/70 and it will surprise you at what that hunk of lead can do.

Comment

Working...
                          X