Treestand for trad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Ghost View Post
    Stickbowcoop that's crazy man. You guys think 12 or 15 feet is good enough? I kinda hate heights.... but I do it anyway .and yes i ware a safety harness. Wish i could waer 3! Lol
    I hunt 8-12 feet normally. I like to be low for the shot angle and I'm not huge on heights, though I will hunt higher if I need to. I try to find the perfect tree with cover at a low height. Here in east Texas I can always find a tree with some bushy cover pretty low down.

Comment

I hunt exclusively out of tripods and ladders. In the hill country, 10' seems perfect for most places. I occasionally find a spot that 8' works better but I haven't had to go higher in years.

Comment

Use a hand climber if you have to use a climbing stand. Rails on climbers and ladder stands suck rotten eggs!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

As Bisch said, use a hand climber. I like to be 15 - 20 feet up.

Comment

Question for those suggesting climbing sticks and a hang on stand: is this something you pack in and out each day? I'm getting into public land hunting and was looking at the summit viper (but not any more!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rogueraider7905 View Post
              Question for those suggesting climbing sticks and a hang on stand: is this something you pack in and out each day? I'm getting into public land hunting and was looking at the summit viper (but not any more!).

The guys I know that take that approach do pack in/out. Often times they leave it up yhe entire weekend, and grab the lower section so passerbys cant climb up and steal the stand.

For that matter, I know folks who used climbers that would cable thier climber to the base of tge tree so they didnt have to pack in/out all weekend.

Those guys get really good and fast on setting thier stands and have confidence in thier spots for an entire weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost View Post
                Stickbowcoop that's crazy man. You guys think 12 or 15 feet is good enough? I kinda hate heights.... but I do it anyway .and yes i ware a safety harness. Wish i could waer 3! Lol
                I am generally in the 15-20' range. Sometimes a little higher or lower if that's where the cover is at. But I practiced a lot out of a 16' ladder stand so I liked that height in my climber. Now I am shooting a wheely bow due to several surgeries I am still in the same height range.

Comment

I like being lower, but have a common height of 20'. It's not mandatory, just where I end up a lot. Last season I was about 12 ft in a hang on and had no problems with that. Not a fan of the ladder stands, just never got comfy there. In the right situation 8-10' can be more then ample. It all has to do with terrain and cover. I put a set of straps on the bottom of the stand, fold it up, and carry in. I also usually free climb into the stand. No steps or ladder to have to mess with that way. and less odor left at the base.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    The guys I know that take that approach do pack in/out. Often times they leave it up yhe entire weekend, and grab the lower section so passerbys cant climb up and steal the stand.

For that matter, I know folks who used climbers that would cable thier climber to the base of tge tree so they didnt have to pack in/out all weekend.

Those guys get really good and fast on setting thier stands and have confidence in thier spots for an entire weekend.

Pretty old thread but this comes up a lot.
                    I use a lock on and that pretty much sums up what I do. Put it up on the first sit then take it down when I go home at the end of the weekend. I use rapid rails and take the bottom one in and out every time. I timed myself because the question is asked so often and it took me 8 minutes to hang the stand and be ready to hunt. With 3 rails I can get 18ft to the base of my stand pretty easy. Rapid rails are also good for hanging trail cams.

Comment

The open shot seems to work great for me, I bought it just for archery and the fact that it has not bar that will get in the way.

Comment

Summit Open shot here also. Works great with trad equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Thanks SwampRabbit. Between work & family I don't have the luxury of leaving it all weekend (at least this year). I'll be doing half and full day hunts but not on back to back days. I'll probably stick to the ground this year and get all the equipment to hunt elevated when life allows.

Cheers

Comment

I was given a 10' game winner tripod this past weekend. Which will get used with the gun rail folded back.

Once I get my crap together Im gonna use

and a linemans belt for certain.

Comment

Ok guys I found a good tree stand for Trad users! Im not normally a hand climber guy I just dont like it but wait!!! My friend just bought a new Lone wolf hand climber II it has a bigger foot platform it is a hand climber but you can buy a stand up set down strap from lone wolf for 20$ and it works great ! I ordered one today. Hope this helps someone. I just sold my sticks "never used them" . I'll still keep the summit viper for gun hunting.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bisch;12742029]Use a hand climber if you have to use a climbing stand. Rails on climbers and ladder stands suck rotten eggs!!!

Bisch

I did just that today!!

Comment

Working...
                                X