PVC bow strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC bow strings

I am making a ton of PVC bows to give to kids that are coming over to the house, but I am having issues with the string. I am trying to find a material that I can just tie to both ends and it will be acceptable for a PVC bow. So far I have used trot line cord, masonry twine, and para cord. All of them stretch way too much. Is there something off the shelf that is better to use or will I just have to stretch these materials?

These bows will probably be up to about 25#.

What about bow fishing string? The higher rated stuff, 300lb? It's braided and may not stretch as much. ???

My hats off to you for what your doing.

Matt

Comment

I just went out to the garage and found a spool. I think it's 150lb test. I don't think this stuff will stretch much at all. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want to try it.

Matt

Comment

I do have a string of the 300# bow fishing string I planned on using for alligator hunting. I will look at it tonight. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Try rock climbing accessory or utility cord.

Crazy strong, and practically no stretch.

Look at REI or someplace similar. Do not be fooled by cheap look alike rope and cord. The good stuff is 10x stronger. Look for brand names like Blue Water and PMI for quality stuff

Comment

You'll laugh, but have you tried anything like baling twine? The new synthetic stuff, not the old hemp rope type. My brother had a little fiberglass kids longbow, and we used that when the original string broke. It's lasted FOREVER. My son, who is 10 now, played with it until he got his first 'big boy' bow two years ago.

Comment

I was eyeballing some bailing string this weekend. I have some laying around the field. I was just wondering what the minimum spool length would be to buy.

Comment

Electrical pulling string is basically the same thing as the new bailing twine. Comes in 5 gallon bucket and around 6500'.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                  Electrical pulling string is basically the same thing as the new bailing twine. Comes in 5 gallon bucket and around 6500'.
                  ^^^^^^This. It's what I use and works great. That bucket will be enough for hundreds of PVC bows.

HG

Comment

i used 600 lb trot line string. aint no stretch in that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X