What is the best 3” feather????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best 3” feather????

I’m looking to make the switch from the plasticy vanes to all natural feathers. What would you guys say is the best 3” right hand feather on the market? Also what is your favorite way to “waterproof” them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying spray starch. It seems to do okay. For a bit.

Gary

Comment

I tend to hot hunt much in the rain these days, but I always used Scotchgard to help my feathers. It has an odor, so you want to use that stuff a day or two before you go hunt with them.

I would say most folks think that the Trueflight feathers are the best ones, but they are pricey too. I use Gateway, and although their quill grind is not the most consistent, I have had no problems glueing them, or keeping them on the shafts.

Bisch

Comment

In the past I have used a powder that fly fishermen use to keep their flys dry.

Comment

Natural turkey feathers are your best bet otherwise go with Trueflight.

I like to spray my feathers with Detrapel. Saw it on shark tank and it works great!
          Last edited by ballgame; 10-26-2018, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Another vote for natural turkey feathers. With 3” you could get two fletches off the best part of each primary. As far as waterproofing, I haven’t seen anything work real well for long soaking rains. The undied natural does hold up better in wet conditions.

Comment

Scotchguard does work well but we didn't use it for anything else and my old can wouldn't spray anymore so I tried the starch my wife uses for ironing. I tried it on one and the put it under the water running off the roof a couple days later. It held up. So I sprayed all my hunting arrows with it. I hope I didn't screw up.

Comment

Best 3” feather I’ve found is made by A&A fletching. I use them in conjunction with turbulator tape and have had great results. Don’t really have a preference on water proofing though. Lots of good products out there but I’ve found that well tuned arrows fly pretty good wet.

Comment

Working...
                X