Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

1996 7.3 F250 starting in the morning needs 3 clicks of the glow pulp (new one installed last year).

So how many of you plug your block warmers in? How long does it need to be plugged in? At what temps do you start plugging it in?

If you are in League City, you shouldn't need to plug it in. Minnesota may be a different story.

Comment

I had one that when it got around 40 deg I had to plug it in at night. The one I have now no need to plug it in. My old truck had bad injectors and my current does not my mechanic told me if I would had replaced them it would start easy in cold weather. You need to leave it plugged in all night.

Comment

I plug mine in when it gets below freezing. Does it need it? Prolly not. But why cause any more stress than needed, it's easy to plug in. Plus it warms up faster IMO.

Comment

I had a '00 ford,and I would plug mine in when it was real cold,and unplug it when needed.Sometimes 48 hours,it would be plugged in.

Comment

I won't burn out the glow plug if I need to click it a few times every morning in the cold?

Comment

I used to plug mine in anytime it was cold enough to cover the plants and bring the outside animals in the house. Just used that as a rule and added it to my covering and corralling routine.

Might not always be needed, but it doesnt hurt it.

Comment

I plug my current truck and the 2 before.that in when it gets below 40. My truck has been drove once in the last two weeks. Engine sounds much better and starts much easier

Usually about an hour. If you don't plug in at least let it idle 20 mins or so before driving

Comment

On my old '89 F250, I found that if I shut the motor off with the defrost on, just enough heat from the block heater would keep my windsheid from icing up.

Comment

Plug mine in when temps are in mid 30s or lower. Doesn't need it but it makes for a quick warm-up in the mornings.

Comment

I plug mine in when below freezing. I can tell a huge difference when starting when it is cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        On my old '89 F250, I found that if I shut the motor off with the defrost on, just enough heat from the block heater would keep my windsheid from icing up.

Smart man never thought about that. Wonder if a new vehicle will accomplish the same. Heat rising it should I would think

Comment

I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                            I plug mine in a day ahead of time if I'm planning to drive it. Usually 35 degrees or lower. It starts a lot easier.

How is it that you are "clicking" the glow plugs? Mine is a 2000 7.3L and I have never seen a switch for turning on glow plugs.
                            Turn the igniton on and off a couple of times.

Comment

Yes I plug in. Probably needs a couple hours to make a difference. Can be longer. Been plugged for most of the last 3 days.
                              It should be expected (unplugged) to be hard to start (down in the 20s for 3 days).
                              I usually plug in if it will be inn the 20s overnight or if it is sustained 32* during the day.
                              But you need to check your glow plugs.

I had 4 bad ones at 120kmi. It got to where it was turning over longer and longer in mild weather (spring). Easiest way is through the harness plug. Each Plug has 4 terminals, the outside terminals are for the glowplugs. Use a test light on the outside terminals to see if they are OK.

A bad glow plug need to be changed. It can get carbon buildup on the tip and cause real problems removing it, with the carbon breaking off and falling into the cylinder head.

CHECK 'em It is pretty easy.

Other methods require removal of valve covers.
                              Lots of examples on youtube.
                              with test light

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-sqAJ_Kh50"]with mulitmeter[/ame]
                              Last edited by Philip-TX; 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X