Registered Firearms Pitt shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Firearms Pitt shooter

How do they know this with no national database?

"Police said Bowers had 21 guns registered in his name and was not known to law enforcement before the shooting."

Yeah I read that yesterday. I think anyone who believes the government isn't saving firearm transfer information is kidding themselves.

I am from about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. I would have never imagined a shooting there, but I am sure everybody says that after it happens.

Comment

They reverse traced his guns from the manufacturers based on their serials. When a dealer calls in NICS for a background check, the serial number of the gun is not given. All they will know is if you bought a rifle, pistol or other.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

When you buy a handgun in Pennsylvania, the state police keep a record of the “PICS” application in a database. (PICS is the Pennsylvania Instant Check System). The state Supreme Court has ruled this is constitutional

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          When you buy a handgun in Pennsylvania, the state police keep a record of the “PICS” application in a database. (PICS is the Pennsylvania Instant Check System). The state Supreme Court has ruled this is constitutional
          PICS is only an "approval/denial" system similar to the NCIS system except its through the state. Nowhere can I find where it requires firearm registration.

Comment

There is a “paper trail” on every firearm sale by a licensed dealer. They can find where you purchased.

States can also keep a database.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              There is a “paper trail” on every firearm sale by a licensed dealer. They can find where you purchased.

States can also keep a database.
              Tell me more about this "paper trail".

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                PICS is only an "approval/denial" system similar to the NCIS system except its through the state. Nowhere can I find where it requires firearm registration.
                Not registration exactly. However if the state has kept records of every approval they know how many guns he has purchased
                Last edited by jerp; 10-28-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Not registration
                  So how can the police say that he had 21 "registered" firearms. Thats my question. How do they know that?

Comment

I suspect that the media used the term "registered" out of their ignorance.

Paper trail? Manufacturer ships to distributor, distributor ships to a FFL seller, FFL seller has paper record of the gun's sale---all the stuff that is required for NICS.

Comment

If I sold a gun to the shooter last month how would it be registered in his name?

Answer... it ain’t registered in his name

Comment

Poor reporting / wording as there is no formal registration...bet they recovered & he simply had 21 guns combined with the ones on his person, vehicle & home. All they have to do is run the numbers & all of them were tied to a 4473 he filled out. I wouldn't put too much into this so early on & is MSM sensationalism to the fact anyone would even own THAT many firearms.

Heck, he likely purchased another two dozen over the years and sold them of which LE is not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Poor reporting / wording as there is no formal registration...bet they recovered & he simply had 21 guns combined with the ones on his person, vehicle & home. All they have to do is run the numbers & all of them were tied to a 4473 he filled out. I wouldn't put too much into this so early on & is MSM sensationalism to the fact anyone would even own THAT many firearms.

Heck, he likely purchased another two dozen over the years and sold them of which LE is not aware of.
                          "run the numbers"? Model and serial numbers don't go on the 4473. Its simply a approval/denial form.
                          The police made the statement not the MSM....I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what the PD means by this.
                          Last edited by bakin7005; 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not arguing either, but You are incorrect...the make, model & serial number are required on every 4473 & the very reason we have them is to assist LE in these cases, theft & the like.

I can snap a picture on the 4473 of where this info is located if you like.

Comment

Make, model and serial number go on page 3 at the top...

Comment

Working...
                              X