Looking at diesel 3/4 ton- Ford vs Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at diesel 3/4 ton- Ford vs Ram

Looking for real world input from those that have driven or have experience with both, in the 2014 and up year range. We are looking at the 4x4 crew in Laramie or Lariat trim. One guy here at work traded a '14 F250 in on a '16 Ram, says the Ram is world's better in every aspect- comfort, ride, power, MPG (loaded and unloaded), fit and finish, etc. He said the Ford was starting to rattle and squeak all over with only about 20K miles on it. Gets 70% better mileage when pulling the same 4 horse trailer with living quarters. He is an avowed Chevy guy and a gear head.

That guy is coo coo. Dodge better than Ford! No way. Just an opinion but I will, as my family will, always drive ford diesels. We all have had dodges, Chevys and fords. Still have one ford 3/4 ton with 600k in it.

You will get an array of answers on why each truck is better than the other. It's just a preference thing. Go drive them and then decide. Only way you'll get an honest answer

Comment

Will never buy another mopar product as long as I live. From death wobble, trans issues, leaky seals, check engine codes...stay away!

Comment

I have 6 Ford work trucks from 2012-2015 and F250 to F550. Out of all 6, one has been in shop for EGR sensors, one for AC problems, and one because a lady pulled out in front of driver. Thats pretty good considering we drive about 30k miles a year in a truck and pull heavy trailers.

Comment

We have a 2002 chevy duramax. Never been worked on powertrain, chassis, or otherwise. Looks like you aren't considering Chevy/GMC though. That's too bad. Allison makes a **** good transmission.

Comment

I'll just say this. Go to any cattle auction barn and you'll mostly see Dodge/Ram trucks all over the place.

Comment

My brother has had a 2014 Ram and a 2015 Ford. He liked both but the Ram rode AWFUL. Both are one ton srw maybe the 3/4 tin Ram rides better? Drive both and see which you like the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Me and my brother own 2016 Rams. My dad owns a 2016 F250. We also own an F250 for a work truck as well. Here's what we've experienced. Just as a spoiler, they're switching both Fords to Rams. It's not because the Ford is a bad truck. Just because Ram has them beat in some very important categories.

The reason the Ford rattles and squeaks is because of the C frame instead of boxed frame. You can look on Youtube for the flex test they performed between the two. It's absolutely stunning what the Ford does vs. the Ram. There's a lot of movement in the cabs of the Fords. You can sit in the back seats of the F250s and literally hear the doors squeak as they shift from road bumps. The Ram feels more solid riding down the road because of it's more rigid box frame.

Fords are rougher, especially in the rear seats. A lot of that has to do with leaf springs vs. coil sprung rear on the Ram. I imagine that the other manufacturers will switch to coil springs at some point in the future because of ride quality.

The fuel mileage claim is definitely true. The Cummins beats the Ford pretty handily in this area. Reason being, motor design. Inline 6 vs. V8. I get the same fuel mileage loaded as my Dad gets in his unloaded. These are hand calculated numbers too. Not going by the read out in the truck.

Older model Dodges were nowhere near the others in fit and finish as well as interior quality, different story now. Ram has caught up, and in my opinion, surpassed the others these days. The radio and GPS are much easier to work in the Rams. You can view the rear camera, and cargo camera in some models at anytime. This makes it nice to inspect the safety chains and things you've got stored in the bed while moving down the road.

On acceleration unloaded I'd give the edge to the Ford, mainly due to Rams torque management system. But, once you hook up a trailer the Cummins really shines. My Dad's Ford has a tough time keeping up with the Rams loaded down with 10-15k worth of weight. The Ford just does not get the weight rolling nearly as easily.

In the end, they're both great trucks. There's going to be folks tell you Rams interior is junk. They're basing their opinions on the older models since they can't pick on the powertrain of the Rams. Cummins speaks for itself. Also, older Rams had transmission problems. Not the case with the 68RFE or Aisin they put in the new ones. I'm running a deleted Ram with a +120hp tune and my transmission is holding just fine. I don't drive it nicely either and it stays hooked up to a 130hp John Deere/459 baler on a 40' gooseneck this time of year. Which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000lbs.

My Dad never wants to use his truck to haul hay equipment anymore. He'd much rather use the Rams these days.
                Last edited by SB09; 06-15-2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  Will never buy another mopar product as long as I live. From death wobble, trans issues, leaky seals, check engine codes...stay away!
                  Here's exactly what I was talking about in my post. All this is based on Generation 3 Rams. We are talking Generation 4 Rams here. The only check engine lights I see with these Generation 4 Rams is related to the emissions systems. A problem all the manufacturers are having.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    My 2014 F350 had the Death Wobble. That being said it is a much better truck than any of my dodges

Comment

2014 f250 here bought new and never had a problem. Good mileage loaded or unloaded and haven't found anything to complain about yet. 20k and counting.

Comment

Oilfield we've never been able to get a dodge to stay together. We have tried many different year models including the new ones and always get burned.

Comment

Wish that was the case...talking about a 2014 ram.

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                          Here's exactly what I was talking about in my post. All this is based on Generation 3 Rams. We are talking Generation 4 Rams here. The only check engine lights I see with these Generation 4 Rams is related to the emissions systems. A problem all the manufacturers are having.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                            My brother has had a 2014 Ram and a 2015 Ford. He liked both but the Ram rode AWFUL. Both are one ton srw maybe the 3/4 tin Ram rides better? Drive both and see which you like the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                            Yea, the 2500 ton has coil springs vs. leaf springs on the 3500. Also, the lower trim Rams seem to ride rougher than the higher trim levels. I'm not 100% sure why since I wasn't thinking about anything lower than Laramie trim when I bought mine.

Comment

2014 2500 4x4 Cummins with 80000 miles on it. Bought new and have had zero problems. Pulls fantastic, good mileage and no squeaks or rattles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X