Sewer smell in House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewer smell in House

We're getting a faint to sometimes string sewer smell on only one side of the house.
    I've made sure all sinks, toliet and shower are used to make sure ptraps have water in them.
    Could it be a vent issue? Haven't been in attick yet to check, what should I look for. Or is there something else to che k into?
    Thanks

I'd be looking at a vent.

Comment

If your on a Septic system you might need to have the tank pumped out. If not probably some sort of leak. Sorry not much help.

Comment

Also look at your Ac system. Sometimes there tied to a vent. P-trap on unit my be dry. This normally happens early winter but maybe not.

Comment

clean out the traps, may have something leeching the water out of the trap.

Comment

Could be a wax ring around a toilet. But sounds more like a vent issue to me.

Comment

Had the same problem awhile back, one of the glue joints had given up in the main line under the house.

Comment

If you have an aerobic septic system then your aerator Is probably out.

Comment

Wax Ring around toilet. I had this problem last year.

Comment

You smell it inside or outside?

Comment

Just dealt with this. Ended up calling a plumber. Found a crack in a pipe. Smell was coming in from the sewers at the street. We also had a ton in sewer flies. It was a reletively cheap fix, but worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                        You smell it inside or outside?
                        Inside the house, but only one the kids side, so I don't think it's being circulated by A/C (air intake on other side of house).
                        Smell is strongest in hallway and bedrooms, but not as strong in bathroom (makes me think not the wax ring).
                        House is pretty new build with septic tanks and leach field.

How far up through the roof should the vent pipes go into the cap on the roof?

Comment

Any dry p traps?

Comment

If vent pipe is plugged up with a bird nest or something when you flush the toilet it could suck the water out of a nearby p-trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                              We're getting a faint to sometimes string sewer smell on only one side of the house.
                              I've made sure all sinks, toliet and shower are used to make sure ptraps have water in them.
                              Could it be a vent issue? Haven't been in attick yet to check, what should I look for. Or is there something else to che k into?
                              Thanks
                              We had the same problem in a house we just built recently. It was a vent issue with the loop in the wall behind our kitchen sink. They 90 the loop instead of making a more gradual loop with 45's. Once it was fixed properly. ...never smelled gas in the house again. Takes a good plumber to know this....and that was my brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X