Alfalfa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa

Aim the only one on our lease that has a feeder pen around to keep cows and sheep out, so I know aim just feeding deer. Do any of y'all have experience feeding alfalfa hay to hill country deer, llano co. Also how do y'all feed it ,just on the ground or a feeder

My father in law had some land in sutton county and he would throw it on the ground in a pen in front of his house. This was about 2009 when the drought was on it's second or third year out there and all his land would grow was rocks so the deer seem to enjoy what was provided at that time.

Comment

I don't have the feeders fenced. I just throw it on the ground next to feeder. I've fed Chaffhaye and regular alfalfa. I think the deer prefer the regular stuff.

Comment

Deer are not grass eaters so they need to move it around in order to get to the pieces they like and can digest. They will just leave the stems making you think they do not like it as much.

Our deer like it just laying on the ground with the string cut off the bales.

Once they have gone through it, throw what's left over well outside the pen for the cows.

Comment

Working...
        X