No announcement yet.

257 Wby or 264 Win Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For your stated purposes 264WM without a doubt. I love my 257 Wby but it can’t hang with high bc & sd of the 6.5mm bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HankePanky View Post
      I personally like the .264 Win Mag out of those two. But either will do the job.

However if you want to look at some crazy ballistics, take a look at the 6.5 STW. I'm not saying buy one, because that's not what you asked, but if ammo cost isn't an issue and you want speed and long range out of something smaller than 7.62, it doesn't get much faster. With 85gr. of IMR-7828 behind an 85gr. Sierra HP, it is absolutely ripping through the air at 4,016 fps!!! Imagine the trajectory with a similar weight Berger VLD...

At 85 grains it wouldn’t be that great. It will shed velocity very quickly and will not carry energy well downrange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pick one, it doesn't make a difference. If you are like me you will have them both pretty soon.

Comment

i have both and i prefer the .264, the ammo is cheaper than the .257 as well.

Comment

Had a 1966 Remington BDL in .264 WM and liked it a lot but the rifle itself wasn't a tack driver by any means. Then factory ammo got scarce so I got rid of it.

Have a .257 Weatherby Mag and it is a tack driver and I enjoy shooting it so the .257 would go with me without hesitation. It kills what I shoot at but since I'm playing with a 6.5CM these days it's on vacation in a gun safe lol.

Comment

Another vote for the 270 WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by HankePanky View Post
                I personally like the .264 Win Mag out of those two. But either will do the job.

However if you want to look at some crazy ballistics, take a look at the 6.5 STW. I'm not saying buy one, because that's not what you asked, but if ammo cost isn't an issue and you want speed and long range out of something smaller than 7.62, it doesn't get much faster. With 85gr. of IMR-7828 behind an 85gr. Sierra HP, it is absolutely ripping through the air at 4,016 fps!!! Imagine the trajectory with a similar weight Berger VLD...
                When you get much in excess of 3100-3200 fps, you have to be careful to use stout bullets, preferably mono or bonded. A Berger at 4000 fps is likely to blow up as soon as it hits the hide.

Waiting to start hearing stories of how the 6.5-300 Weatherby is a crappy killer when people start loading them with Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                  When you get much in excess of 3100-3200 fps, you have to be careful to use stout bullets, preferably mono or bonded. A Berger at 4000 fps is likely to blow up as soon as it hits the hide.

Waiting to start hearing stories of how the 6.5-300 Weatherby is a crappy killer when people start loading them with Nosler Ballistic Tips.
                  I will let you know

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                    I will let you know

Depending on the bullet it might open before it hits the target at those speeds and rifling rate. I have watched a few lead vapor trail and bullet POOF as it came apart in flight.

Comment

Working...
                    X