Dog training help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog training help

I have been working with my almost 9 month GSP on FF. I need some help from the trainers on here. He has hold down very well, but he absolutely will not “fetch” the pvc I am using with an ear pinch. We have been working on this for a month now and he still won’t. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have the force fetch solution, but I could bring my dog out to spark some competition if you think that could help

Comment

Have you tried the hump method

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        I don’t have the force fetch solution, but I could bring my dog out to spark some competition if you think that could help
        He loves to fetch Greg. And him and the springer are always competing when I have them together I was just hoping to FF him so he would be automatic retrieving birds.

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
        Haha I have not tried it. I hear it has only worked once though.

Comment

call jeff brown at dawg on it retrievers in taft, tx i had the same problem with my lab, he fixed the problem, a great guy, who gets results, here is his number 361-793-1999 has great fascilities and training grounds, $700 a month i think

Comment

Try a toe rope/hitch maybe?! Haven't had to use that method often, usually the ear pinch gets the desired results.

Comment

You may try the toe hitch method. This method has worked on my GSP. Try Youtubing it to see how it works. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post

When I saw the title I knew this comment was coming but I had no idea it would be post #3!

Comment

You may already be doing this but use something metal(collar buckle is what I used). Put part of his ear between the metal and your thumb to put more pressure when you pinch it.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                    I have been working with my almost 9 month GSP on FF. I need some help from the trainers on here. He has hold down very well, but he absolutely will not “fetch” the pvc I am using with an ear pinch. We have been working on this for a month now and he still won’t. What am I doing wrong?

My GSP doesn't like to retrieve unless there are other dogs around, I know it sounds weird. She will hold point all day long, she will honor point, but if we are by ourselves, she won't look for a bird. If there is a dog behind her, shes always the first one on it.

Just my experience lol.

I've got a great trainer in Abilene if you want a professional, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                      My GSP doesn't like to retrieve unless there are other dogs around, I know it sounds weird. She will hold point all day long, she will honor point, but if we are by ourselves, she won't look for a bird. If there is a dog behind her, shes always the first one on it.

Just my experience lol.

I've got a great trainer in Abilene if you want a professional, let me know.

That could possibly be the same way he is. When I have both dogs they won’t stop retrieving.

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
                      You may already be doing this but use something metal(collar buckle is what I used). Put part of his ear between the metal and your thumb to put more pressure when you pinch it.

I am doing that and he will reluctantly open his mouth, but won’t actually go to the pvc.

I will try the toe hitch and see if it works. Thank y’all. I am hoping I can do it myself and not have to send him to a trainer.

Comment

In just 2 days of using the toe hitch he is already grabbing the pvc. Thanks for the help hopefully he will keep getting better.

Comment

Working...
                        X