Custom 375 H&H build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom 375 H&H build

Figured this would be fun share with some of you now that my gunsmith and I are approaching completion on this project. I hope you enjoy seeing the progress pictures, and I will post completed pictures of the rifle in a month or so.

Setting the stage, about three years ago I decided I wanted to build a custom 375 H&H in the vein of a classic African Safari rifle. So the story begins with me looking for a platform to start off of. I wanted a claw extractor and three position safety, so I opted for a modern Winchester model 70. The plan was to use the action and barrel, and replace everything else.

So I called Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas and picked up a Turkish walnut blank that had good straight grain through the wrist to handle the recoil, while also having good dark mineral lines with marble caking in the buttstock area. I also picked up some aftermarket bottom metal from Sunnyhill for a drop box magazine.

I took those pieces to my gunsmith along with my talley mounts for my scope, and ordered a barrel band front sight, double cross bolts, skeletonized grip cap, recoil pad and other accessories and gave him some direction on generic length of pull, cast, cheek piece, etc.

He called me last week for a fitting so we could fine tune the stock work. He still needs to checker the rifle, put a finish on it, and Matte blue everything.

It's been fun so far! I can't wait to post finished pictures and take her to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fine looking piece of iron and something to pass down to the children.

Hopefully it has a few "character" marks in the stock which can used to recall memories of days past pursuing game on the dark continent before passing it down.

Comment

beautiful

Comment

We will definitely need pictures when finished

Comment

Nice! Always wanted a 375.

Comment

Beauty

Comment

That is sweet!! I would go for a high luster bluing though.

Comment

I totally forgot to provide an update when this rifle was finished. I just got back from a range day and man she is a sweet shooter. Will put four bullets touching at 100 yards. On top of that, she turned out to be a looker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Sweet baby Jesus. PM me pricing for all that stock work and the stock. And total cost of you don't mind. I need that in my life

Comment

That is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                        Figured this would be fun share with some of you now that my gunsmith and I are approaching completion on this project.

So I called Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas and picked up a Turkish walnut blank that had good straight grain through the wrist to handle the recoil, while also having good dark mineral lines with marble caking in the buttstock area.
                        one of the best

Comment

Good looking gun

Comment

I have the same rifle, but in stainless. I put a factory wood stock on mine. It’s pretty,but nothing like yours.... Beautiful rifle!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	8882B982-4347-43FD-9E51-FCA2369610E7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	24522679
                            Last edited by BBRU; 12-10-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              Sweet baby Jesus. PM me pricing for all that stock work and the stock. And total cost of you don't mind. I need that in my life
                              PM sent.

And to everybody else, thanks for all the nice words. It will be put to good use on the dark continent one day, and will be passed down to future generations in my family. Hope it has some stories attached to it when the time to pass it on comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X