Breaking in a new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking in a new rifle

What's your favorite way to break in a new hunting rifle? NOT a match grade bench rifle.

uhhh....shoot it?

Comment

Just go shoot it.

Comment

Shoot 5-10 individual rounds cleaning after each
        Shoot 5-10 3-shot groups cleaning after each
        Shoot 3-5 5-shot groups cleaning after each

When cleaning I use:
        1-3 Solvent patches
        1-5 Copper Killer patches
        1 Solvent patch
        1-3 Dry patches
        1 Oil patch

Comment

Shoot a box. Clean it.

All done!!

Comment

Did the “midway USA” breaking and can tell you it made no difference on my hunting rifle. Huge waste of time, go shoot it and have fun.

Comment

Same as a custom. Just go shoot it

Comment

I like to rub it down with peanut oil and then run it on high for 30 mins. Oh wait, thats a new grill... nvm

Comment

Each manufacturer has there own guidelines for their gun barrel, I usually follow what they recommend. For the most it’s similar as hat bolilloloco mentioned in post #4. After break in I rarely clean rifle barrels unless it’s shooting bad, my guns like to run dirty or it ain’t no gun of mine haha

It helps with a little bit better accuracy and longevity of the life of the barrel by smoothing out any mill marks and burrs within the barrel, it doesn’t just magically make your gun shoot great.

Comment

Shoot the **** thing

Comment

agree with all the 'shoot and clean' posts.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        Shoot a box. Clean it.

All done!!
                        Lol . Sounds like my way!

Comment

I have experimented a few times with this, if there is a way to make a hunting rifle shoot better, I’m in. I found a website by speedy Gonzales, who is a benchrest shooter. Followed their guide and was impressed by the rifle after. I did not side by side compare with a rifle that I don’t follow instruction with. Of course this all depends on what you consider accurate!!! Do I want bullets touching at 100 yards with a hunting rifle, yes!! Most of my rifles shoot better than I do, so I want every inch. If you want to hit a paper plate at 100 yards, I wouldn’t consider that accurate. But it’s all in ones opinion, I don’t build rifles, I buy ones that are suitable for what I want, tikka and Sako, have not disappointed me on that. To make it simple, it was shoot and clean, a lot. I’ll see if I can find it again, but there is a science to it. http://www.benchrest.com/sgybreakin.htm

Comment

One of the rifles results,

This is hornady 243 whitetail ammo at 100 yards, I’ll take this all day. My 30/06 tikka with hornady factory loads will shoot through the same hole at 100 on a good day for my shooting. Oh by the way, After a few hundred rounds of reloads trail and error, I found that hornady shoots as good as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like so:

Comment

Working...
                              X