450 bushmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 bushmaster

Who has one or has first hand experience with shooting, accuracy and brush gun hunting application of the round.

I have one with 16” barrel that is a Bushmaster upper. I have shot the Hornady 250 grain FXT(tan box not black box) and Winchester 250 grain ammo. Most of my experience is with Hornady ammo. We have shot several deer with mine. None required more than one shot. It is extremely accurate considering the size of the bullet and shape of the bullet. I can usually clover leaf or come close to doing so if I do my part.
    I took the largest body deer over 170 yards out with the deer making it 40 yards and complete pass thru. That deer was around 300lbs.
    I tell everyone its like using a magnum charge in your Muzzleloaders but getting true velocity and not worrying about cleaning it after a couple shots.
    Mine had a Leupold vx-1 3-9x40 scope but since put that scope on a .375 Ruger. So now it has a 4-14x44 Nikko Sterling scope that came on a Howa combo. Not the greatest scope but the gun still prints tight groups.
    I am surprised that more folks down in Texas don’t own them. Pigs wouldn’t fair well with a hit from the .450.

Comment

I have one in a Bushmaster AR. It's pig medicine for sure, but I don't shoot it anymore. For the pigs I kill, the 6.8 seems to work just fine. Mine wears a Nikon shotgun scope with the BDC reticle and the aiming points work well with .450 ballistics. I've only used the Hornady flex-tip ammo and it's plenty accurate out to 150 yards. No pig has ever taken a step when shot with it.

Comment

Ive got a 16" AR and a Ruger American bolt action. Both are very impressive accuracy wise and hunting performance. I almost exclusively use the bolt action these days. In the last 8 or so years ive killed several deer and around 40 hogs with the 450 . Never needed a second shot. My only ammo experience has been with the Hornady brown box 250 grain.

Comment

Y’all build it or buy complete uppers?

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
            I bought the whole gun. It was my first AR several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post

I bought complete upper. One of the original bushmasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a CVA single shot 450 bushmaster. I cant tell you exactly how tight the groups are because I haven't shot it from a bench. I sighted it in shooting off a tripod. But I was grouping less than an inch at 100 yards doing it.
                I shot (2) 125# hogs with it. The first one (80 yard shot) I hit just in front of the shoulder and went through the neck and out the ear on the opposite side (DRT)
                The second one was 150 yards, hit him broadside just behind the shoulder. Hit both lungs and the top of the heart, and passed completely through. He ran a little ways into the brush, but the tracking was super easy because it was bleeding everywhere.
                The recoil is not to bad, I think it is about like shooting a 308.
                I really want an upper for my AR in 450 bushmaster, that's next on my list of things to buy.
                I definately dont feel underguned even for really large hogs.

Comment

I have a Ruger ranch in .450 bushmaster. I like it so far. Its pretty accurate but I haven't shot it from bench. I just hope that they gain popularity and ammo becomes easier to find. I really like that its a compact rifle and a big round.

Comment

Been thinking about getting one. Keep looking at the bolt action ones. When I first seen the round I thought it should work great for a hog round.

Comment

I have a buddy at work who has one of the Ruger rifles in .450. He absolutely loves his rifle. His is really light. They put that massive brake on it so that helps.
                      My daughters would kill me in my sleep if I ever got rid of mine.

Comment

Nice! Anyone have issues with fail to feed/eject? Heard there’s been issues on AR type rifles

Comment

I shot 2 more hogs today with my 450 BM. That is one impressive round, very accurate, and really hammers them. Most of my shots have been 135-145 yards.

Comment

I’ve had zero issues getting mine to feed or eject. Remington R-15, it’s a shooter.

Comment

I have a Ruger American in .450 bm and it will hammer a deer. Also accurate enough for me to shoot a turkey in the head. I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X