300 win ammo weight recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 win ammo weight recommendations

For 200-300 yard type shots on whitetail should I stick to the 180 gr I have it sighted for or go down to a 150 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 165 gr for deer and 180 gr for elk.

Comment

For 165 or less just get a 30-06. A 300 wm pushes a 180 just fine.

Comment

I am a fan of 180’s

Comment

I like the 180s too, cuz why not

Comment

Comment

180s are a sweet spot for the 300 Magnums.

Comment

180 here too, I believe our Whitetails are heavier than most( up to 250lbs) that's why I shoot a big grain. I'm sure 150 grains would do as well but I really like that big hammer

Comment

Rifles decide weights not people. I would shoot what groups the best and you can narrow it down by twist. I spend hours of shooting and loading before choosing a load and bullet and even COAL. I would go,to the range with both and at 300 shoot a group of 5. The tightest group wins. 165 grain bullet in a 300 win is plenty for most animals in North America.

Comment

I use 180 in my RUM for everything, but some rifles like different loads. The new Hornady precision has 210 grain bullets guess they know something. I need to try some.

Comment

What bullets are y’all using for Whitetail? I just got a model 70 in 300WM and had only considered using Hornady factory GMX 180gr as this rifle will mostly be for a future elk rifle. But is the GMX going to be too much for a Whitetail if I chose to? Or does it make a difference?

I understand finding the right bullet and stuff, I just always had considered a 300 “too big” for Whitetail.

Comment

I ahoot Remington Corelocta 180gr in my 200WM, it shoots them good and packs a good punch with plenty of speed

I had to buy a box today and it took a while cause I couldn’t find anything other than 150s, which to me I’m not sure why you’d want a 150 in a 300, I get it’s fast but those 180+ pack a heck of a punch

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                          For 200-300 yard type shots on whitetail should I stick to the 180 gr I have it sighted for or go down to a 150 ?

If your 180's group well shoot them. There is no advantage to 150's.

Comment

I load 165 and 168 grain bullets for my 300 Win Mag. Muzzle velocity is published at 3000 to 3100 ft per second. At this point I'm not shooting beyond 350 yards. I see no point in shooting anything heavier. Tell me any Texas critter they can stand up a 165 grain Nosler partition at that velocity. Elk, auodad, and nilgai included.

Comment

That load shoots .6 inch off of a bipod. Factory rifle action and barrel bedded in a tupperware stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X