Which Kestrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Kestrel?

The majority of my shooting has been service rifle and mostly shooting at 300 yds or less. Estimating wind with my eye has been relatively easy. But I want to get more into longer range maybe F class stuff and feel like a more exact wind data would be better.
    I use the Applied Ballistics app on my phone.

So my question is which kestrel? The basic 2500 seems like all I need. Wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity. The 5700 with the link and the internal ballistics data seems like over kill.

Th 5700 is really nice. It might be overkill if you plan to continue using your phone as well. It is really nice to have everything in one spot though. You can also enter changes to shot data after a range day to make for more accurate shot data later on.

Comment

tagged in for this one also

Comment

When I started shooting LR and competing in PRS, I was using the geoballistics app for my dope and purchased one of their weather meters. It’s worked great for me this past year, and would fill the need you have if you’re considering using a phone and weather meter. Plus, the app has some awesome features if you rifle hunt the same areas frequently. For the Weather Meter and app, you're into it for $100 or a little less.

Now, if you decide you want a single unit that gathers info and displays it, then the Kestrel 5700 with link is the one to get.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
          I use the same Ballistics ARC , watch the video :
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T8xkto-Xws

edit: $62 on Amazon with FREE shipping
          https://www.amazon.com/Weatherflow-H...ballistics+ARC
          Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            I use the same Ballistics ARC , watch the video :
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T8xkto-Xws

edit: $62 on Amazon with FREE shipping
            https://www.amazon.com/Weatherflow-H...ballistics+ARC

I bet Joe would love to know that the app is CB approved!

Comment

my 5700 elite has served me well....

Comment

I've been shooting LR and PRS since 2011-2012. I relied on my phone using the Shooter App for several years. It always served me well. I was reluctant to make the change over to the 5700AB. Once I did, I couldn't believe I went so long without it. It is one of the best shooting related tools ive spent money on next to my Terrapin RF. I use the 5700AB when hunting too. Im almost always hunting with my match rifle or my backup rifle so its all programmed in there.
                Last edited by Trevor73402; 11-06-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Looks like I'm getting the Weatherflow and putting the Kestrel 5700 on my Christmas list.

Comment

My WeatherFlow weathermeter showed up and there is good news and bad news.

The good news, it works with the Applied Balisitics App so no need to pay for the Geoballistics app.

The bad news, the weathermeter that I received is reading 10.5 mph win at rest and when it picks up wind it reads the opposite, so a 3 mph wind displays as 7.5mph. Must be a calibration issue on the device. I'll just have to return this one and get another sent out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      My WeatherFlow weathermeter showed up and there is good news and bad news.

The good news, it works with the Applied Balisitics App so no need to pay for the Geoballistics app.

The bad news, the weathermeter that I received is reading 10.5 mph win at rest and when it picks up wind it reads the opposite, so a 3 mph wind displays as 7.5mph. Must be a calibration issue on the device. I'll just have to return this one and get another sent out.
                      Dave

take the battery out and replace it

if that don't work, call their customer service and see what the techs recommend .... maybe it's a software issue that can be reset ???

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        Dave

take the battery out and replace it

if that don't work, call their customer service and see what the techs recommend .... maybe it's a software issue that can be reset ???
                        Did all that, the tech says defective unit and to return it. Just bad luck on my part.

Comment

I have a 4000NV if anyone is interested. I want to upgrade to one that links to my ballistic software.

Comment

Working...
                          X