Scuffs on barrel...Im puzzled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scuffs on barrel...Im puzzled?

Have a tikka t3 lite with a stainless barrel.... these small black marks started showing and I can't seem to figure out what they are or if I can get rid of them. I always while down my rifles after use and hunting with birchwood casey barricade. Would that cause This? Anybody have similar problems?
    Attached Files

Pee splatter.

Comment

Is there a cleaner for this pee splatter you speak of?

Comment

I zoom in and it looks like something was hitting it, pit marks ( craters, holes with raised sides) or rust pits, are about the only thing I think it could be. Try a pencil eraser and see if one comes off.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
          Is there a cleaner for this pee splatter you speak of?

No, just preventive measures.

Comment

Being stainless you should be able to take really fine sandpaper and get them out.

Comment

I would not call those scuffs. To me a scuff indicates a scratch or rub of some.sort. That looks like pitting or some splatter effect. I would have a smith with refinishing or coating experience take a look if it were my gun. Good luck.

Comment

stain less still stains

Comment

Rust!

Comment

You can also use very fine steel wool to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkW View Post
                      You can also use very fine steel wool to get rid of it.
                      Make sure its stainless steel wool or the iron will imbed in the barrel and make it worse. Little orange/red/black specks

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        Make sure its stainless steel wool or the iron will imbed in the barrel and make it worse. Little orange/red/black specks
                        That is what it looks like happened at one time or another.

Comment

Ok sounds like its pitting. I have some ss wool I will give it a shot...Hope it works. They say its a bead blasted barrel not sure if that will mess up the blasted look?

Comment

Put some gun oil on it when it is stored, I actually used WD-40 and it prevented this. Good Luck. Some versions of stainless can rust.

Comment

Blue Wonder will remove it. Rub it on and it will wipe off.

Comment

Working...
                              X