Rem 700 TI won't shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rem 700 TI won't shoot

I have an original rem700 TI in 30-06 that I can not get to shoot well. I tried some quick handloads and hornady precision 178eldx before floating the stock thinking that might fix the problem. Went back out yesterday and shot the same hornady along with some nosler 165ab factory loads and still only managed 2" groups. Should I consider replacing the stock and bedding it first or should I rebarrel with the same stock? Just thinking about options. Gonna try some 150s in it first before changing anything.

How’s the scope? Level, mounted correct, screws torqued down?
    How’s the barrel? Appx rounds fired, have you had a borescope put down it?
    Shooting from a rest or off-hand?
    Does it feed ok and extract shot brass ok?
    Has it ever shot well? (By the Previous owner, no offense meant)

You may have already confirmed all this, just asking before you have to spend the coin on a new barrel.

Comment

I had a stainless Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06, that I couldn't ever get it to shoot well. Rebarreled to 35 Whelen and put it in a laminated stock and now factory ammo shoots well under an inch. That Browning stainless stalker carbon fluted 270 wsm I bought from you, sure does shoot darts......thanks again!!

Comment

Scope is new vortex razor, level, and torqued to specs.

Barrel has an unknown number of rounds down in it but based on overall condition I can't see it being many, though I could be wrong. Never borescoped.

Sandbags

Feeds great with no extraction issues

Haven't talked to the original owner as I don't have his info, previous owner didn't shoot it and no offense taken haha

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
        How’s the scope? Level, mounted correct, screws torqued down?
        How’s the barrel? Appx rounds fired, have you had a borescope put down it?
        Shooting from a rest or off-hand?
        Does it feed ok and extract shot brass ok?
        Has it ever shot well? (By the Previous owner, no offense meant)

You may have already confirmed all this, just asking before you have to spend the coin on a new barrel.

Comment

Haha hey man! I was wondering how you were liking the rifle the other day. It's a cool little gun for sure!

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
          I had a stainless Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06, that I couldn't ever get it to shoot well. Rebarreled to 35 Whelen and put it in a laminated stock and now factory ammo shoots well under an inch. That Browning stainless stalker carbon fluted 270 wsm I bought from you, sure does shoot darts......thanks again!!

Comment

I have several of these in various chamberings and although they can be inherently finicky compared to a heavier rifle most are shooters and some are downright tack drivers. They do require a sight change of shooting mechanics.

If you feel like all the variables mentioned above are properly addressed, try another load or try a barrel deresonator. I've seen these work wonders.

Comment

Did you ever have to rebarrel to get it to shoot or were you always able to find a load they shot well?

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
              I have several of these in various chamberings and although they can be inherently finicky compared to a heavier rifle most are shooters and some are downright tack drivers. They do require a sight change of shooting mechanics.

If you feel like all the variables mentioned above are properly addressed, try another load or try a barrel deresonator. I've seen these work wonders.

Comment

If you have checked all screws on the scope rings mounts and bases also check all screws on the stock and stock movement. You may try cleaning the barrel really good as well as a barrel deresenator. You may also try bedding the rifle as well. I bed all mine regardless.

Comment

Had similar issues last year with a 700 ss. Had to DEEP clean the barrel, solved my problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you've checked all the above mentioned mechanical concerns you'll have to try a variety of ammo. Those rifles are very finicky at best and will be limited to what they like.

Fine tuned hand loads are going to be your best best. Get some quality brass and premium bullets then stuff some H4350 or 1000 in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Had problems with my Remington 270 recently. Determined it was the scope or at least I'm pretty sure after mounting another scope and shooting good.
                      Sending in my vortex viper to get looked at.

Comment

$500 for the hunk of crap with the impending warranty claim sitting on top of it

Comment

Originally posted by ltsheets View Post
                          Did you ever have to rebarrel to get it to shoot or were you always able to find a load they shot well?
                          I haven't swapped the barrel on one yet, but to be honest I have a couple that I haven't even fired, and one that I've shot one or two different loads without getting what I want out of it accuracy wise. Just got distracted and never found the time to go back to it. I love hunting with them but I probably love collecting them almost as much.

My favorite is a well used old 270 that I bought online from the Cabela's in Grand Junction, Colorado a few years ago. It loves the Hornady Superformance 140 grain SST ammo and I've killed countless deer with it.

Good luck with it brother, and if you ever tire of fighting it let me know.

Comment

I have a 300 win mag barrel you can have if you’re not set on having an ‘06, its off a Remington 700 ADL, sporter/lightweight profile. Where are you located?

Comment

Haven't given it a total copper removal yet. Maybe I'll try that.

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                              Had similar issues last year with a 700 ss. Had to DEEP clean the barrel, solved my problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X