No announcement yet.

Breaking in a new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the old days I wonder if they cleaned them like guys today recommend? Probably not

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
      In the old days I wonder if they cleaned them like guys today recommend? Probably not
      Old school was indeed shoot & clean...I used to follow it. Many years later, all the short range benchrest guys winning medals started saying it was a waste of time & the bbl is either going to win or it's not. The proof was with the wins.

One thing to remember is improper cleaning can hurt a bbl more than help...better have a good bore guide & not let the rod scrape the crown. I use the foam now & haven't used rods in years.

Comment

I just shoot em. I have a couple rifles I went through a break in period with. They aren't any more accurate than my others are. I am the weak link in accuracy for most of my guns. They can out shoot me any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I use the foam now & haven't used rods in years.
          I use foam as well but still use a rod to get it out of barrel, I must be missing something.

Comment

Break in seems to be one of those things you can’t prove or disprove. I clean the gun then just shoot it. I’ll clean again when the groups start to open up.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
              I use foam as well but still use a rod to get it out of barrel, I must be missing something.
              I use a piece of weed whacker string to pull the patches. Burn one end till it starts to melt & tap out on a wet surface & sharpen the other end to a point to pierce the patch. Blunt melted end keeps it on.

You can keep one in your game bag & works great for emergencies if you ever plug the bbl...poke loose the debris & pull through the muzzle end & your hunt is still on. Just pull straight & not at an angle to keep the crown safe.

Comment

1 shot clean until copper fouling stops. On a custom lapped barrel this will be 5-8 cycles. Out of the box barrel 20 rounds or so. Do this with a patch only. Then do 3-4 round cycles with a bronze brush until color change is done. Clean the chamber each time. Don’t over heat. Once fouling is done and the barrel cleans easy, I would not clean but every 250-500 rounds. Maybe a chamber cleaning now and then. If you want to solve breakin or not argument call a barrel manufacturer.

Comment

I use a piece of weed whacker string to pull the patches. Burn one end till it starts to melt & tap out on a wet surface & sharpen the other end to a point to pierce the patch. Blunt melted end keeps it on.

You can keep one in your game bag & works great for emergencies if you ever plug the bbl...poke loose the debris & pull through the muzzle end & your hunt is still on. Just pull straight & not at an angle to keep the crown safe.
                  I use those to clean 10/22 but I still need my rods for benchrest rifles. I like to keep carbon at bay and JB bore paste on weed whacker line doesn't work well. I'm pretty sure Tony Boyer hasn't quit cleaning........or winning.

Comment

Which foam are you using?

Comment

I started doing this after reading one of your previous posts on the subject. It works great. Thanks for the info. What foam do you use?

Comment

I use the WipeOut Foam but do pull a couple of patches of their Wipeout Accelerator first...it really appears to assist the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                          Break in seems to be one of those things you can’t prove or disprove. I clean the gun then just shoot it. I’ll clean again when the groups start to open up.
                          This pretty much sums up what I have been doing. Wouldn't think a dirty fouled barrel is going to make a huge difference on minute of deer at normal ranges.

Comment

Whatever makes you feel good about the rifle is my answer here. I have a lot of custom guns and even more factory rifles. I have done the shoot, clean, shoot method and it is a waste of time IMO. If there is chatter and marking in the throat area you will always have to run more patches. That does not mean that rifle will not shoot, in fact it may shoot better with some fouling. I expect a match barrel with a properly cut chamber to clean about the same on 1-5 as 20-60 rounds. I have inspected all my bores with a bore scope. The ones that clean easy are that way from day one and you can see why. The ones that foul have chatter marks and you will see deposits of copper. However, some of those chattered factory barrels shoot very very well.

Sum it up, do not burn the barrel with heat cracks and just shoot it.

Comment

Working...
                            X