No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deer outsmarted us again. They walked between us and truck while we were walking out after shooting hours. Literally 10 yards off the fence by the road where we were parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I grunted in a spike from about 100 yards out. He came to 20 yards. I could have shot (it was tempting) but I passed. Right at dark, saw a buck chasing a doe across the field. I'm not sure what it was. I'll be back at it tomorrow!

Comment

I will be out Tuesday morning as well once I get off work. Should be out there by 8am and planning to just sit the rest of the day. I have a few spots for options just going to have to wait and see what gates have trucks at them. If they have people there already I don't plan on walking in and messing up someones hunt. At that point I might just find an empty unit and get some scouting done.

Comment

I doubt Tuesday will be too busy. I actually haven't hunted too many week days, so I can't say from experience.

Comment

Been out there quite a few week days the past couple of weeks. Have yet to see any other hunters or trucks at the gates on my way in and out. Lots of spike and doe activity where I sit. Freezer is looking a little light so I'll be letting one fly at first opportunity with general season opening this weekend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be out every afternoon this week and will be taking all next week off to get it done. Will be camping up at Caddo all next week or long as I can stand living in a tent and taking a shower out of a bag

Comment

Originally posted by RNLedet View Post
                Been out there quite a few week days the past couple of weeks. Have yet to see any other hunters or trucks at the gates on my way in and out. Lots of spike and doe activity where I sit. Freezer is looking a little light so I'll be letting one fly at first opportunity with general season opening this weekend

That's good to know. Seems like week day hunts you'd have the whole place to yourself. If a spike walks by tomorrow, I won't hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by RNLedet View Post

Yeah I primarily Hunt week days and rarely run into other hunters. Just always good to have that backup plan if needed.

Comment

Hopefully there are two casualties then! Good luck out there
                    Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                    That's good to know. Seems like week day hunts you'd have the whole place to yourself. If a spike walks by tomorrow, I won't hesitate.

Comment

Not a single sighting with all that wind and heat this morning.

Comment

This morning, left Flower Mound at about 3:30am, got close to my spot at about 4:30am. Realized I left my wallet with hunting license in it... Turned around, got home at 5:30am, got back to my spot at 6:30am. Setup in the tree right at sunrise. Was sitting in an observation set where I could see quite a ways. Had a small buck come out about 50 yards in front, checked a scrape and then made his way across the field. Saw 2 other deer later behind me; I couldn't see any big tines so either does or small bucks.

I've got a nice setup for tonight. Setting up in a small oak that's off the tree line but not way out in the middle, north side of a smaller field, the tree has 3 trails that converge together and there are 3 fresh scrapes by me and water hole behind me. I've hunted this spot 3 years ago and had shooter came in chasing a doe but no shot opportunity.

We'll see what happens tonight. I was going to hunt tomorrow but looks like thunderstorms and rain all day... May be going back to work instead. I don't mind the rain but thunderstorms will keep me out of the woods.

Comment

Good luck to ya this evening Troy.

And for those interested, as you can see above, there is some great fishing in some of those smaller tanks and ponds on LBJ!

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                            This morning, left Flower Mound at about 3:30am, got close to my spot at about 4:30am. Realized I left my wallet with hunting license in it... Turned around, got home at 5:30am, got back to my spot at 6:30am. Setup in the tree right at sunrise. Was sitting in an observation set where I could see quite a ways. Had a small buck come out about 50 yards in front, checked a scrape and then made his way across the field. Saw 2 other deer later behind me; I couldn't see any big tines so either does or small bucks.

I've got a nice setup for tonight. Setting up in a small oak that's off the tree line but not way out in the middle, north side of a smaller field, the tree has 3 trails that converge together and there are 3 fresh scrapes by me and water hole behind me. I've hunted this spot 3 years ago and had shooter came in chasing a doe but no shot opportunity.

We'll see what happens tonight. I was going to hunt tomorrow but looks like thunderstorms and rain all day... May be going back to work instead. I don't mind the rain but thunderstorms will keep me out of the woods.
                            If it's not lighting, it would be good to sit those scrapes during the storm. Perhaps a buck comes by to freshen them up once the storm passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Good luck to ya this evening Troy.

And for those interested, as you can see above, there is some great fishing in some of those smaller tanks and ponds on LBJ!

Not from LBJ

Comment

2 afternoon sits in a row at different spots. Nothing yesterday and 1 doe today right after dark heading out. If I get rained out tomorrow I will be out again trying to get it done. I think they will be out freshening up scrapes too. Good luck to everyone that gets to go out. Moving

Comment

Working...
                                X