Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past Due Vehicle registration and Inspection head scratcher

Say Fellas,

My son's registration was past due. His car has been out of state at college. I think the car is having a pretty good time too.

He was finally back in Texas for a few days and we got his car inspected and went to register on-line. Turns out we are past the 90 day grace period.

I've scoured the net trying to figure out WHY we need to have the registration renewed in person vs online at the county tax office. Can anyone answer this question?

I just don't understand why it makes a difference...

TIA.

P

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
    Say Fellas,

My son's registration was past due. His car has been out of state at college. I think the car is having a pretty good time too.

He was finally back in Texas for a few days and we got his car inspected and went to register on-line. Turns out we are past the 90 day grace period.

I've scoured the net trying to figure out WHY we need to have the registration renewed in person vs online at the county tax office. Can anyone answer this question?

I just don't understand why it makes a difference...

TIA.

P
    Because you are past the 90 day grace period. Pretty sure it says online if you are past that period there are other information you need to bring.

Side note, you can renew on time and get an inspection when you return to the state.

Comment

It is my understanding that you can't renew without having had an in state inspection.

Comment

That's weird. I got my inspection done last month and was able to renew online, just got my tag in the mail.

Oh and my registration went out in April....

Sorry, not any help really, sounds odd though.

Comment

I went to the Kroger and did mine.

Comment

Yes I have had that happen to me too. I had to go to their office. They will ask you if you drove the vehicle while it was expired. Oh and I have to go every year to get my farm tags on my horse trailer as they want to see your AG exempt card number....

RD

Comment

It is my understanding that you can't renew without having had an in state inspection.
              If the vehicle is out of state, you can state that and get it renewed without the inspection. I have a Ford Ranger that hasn't been inspected in at least 10 years. I leave it in NY.

Comment

Yup, you can. Just need to do it online before your registration is due. You check a box that says you will have it inspected as soon as you get back to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Yup, you can. Just need to do it online before your registration is due. You check a box that says you will have it inspected as soon as you get back to Texas.
                  COOL! thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X