Scrooge........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrooge........................

The subject of Christmas and more so shopping seem to come up every year with me and friends.

I don't shop. For as long as we/I have been married my wife and kids do all the shopping. My wife purchases what she wants for Christmas as well as our daughters etc.

I don't wrap. My wife wraps all the presents, yes even hers. I absolutely despise stores of any kind. If I have to go I know exactly what I am purchasing and I am out.

Many moons ago I tried buying Christmas presents. It seems I could never get it right. Now they purchase what they want and there are no hiccups. For me I usually have one or two items and they are done. In the past they have given me a gift card which I use online (no stores).

Christmas is overhyped in my opinion. Too much into material things, lights etc. The meaning always seems to be overshadowed by materialistic items. That's me and I guess I will never change.

Christmas really has nothing to do with shopping or presents!

But you sir, do seem to be a certified Scrooge!!!

Bisch

Comment

I stopped buying Christmas presents for everyone except for my kids a couple of years ago. I've had many discussions with people about this. Normally they think that I'm a scrooge. I even had one person ask me "don't you like seeing the joy on peoples' faces when you give them a gift?" That right there is the key, I no longer see joy on faces. I just see expectations... give me more.

Comment

Bah humbug!!
        [ATTACH]831563[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
          I stopped buying Christmas presents for everyone except for my kids a couple of years ago. I've had many discussions with people about this. Normally they think that I'm a scrooge. I even had one person ask me "don't you like seeing the joy on peoples' faces when you give them a gift?" That right there is the key, I no longer see joy on faces. I just see expectations... give me more.
          Spot on

Comment

I buy Riley a couple of little gifts. If she needs shoes or clothes I throw those in as sacrificial gifts ( even though they really aren't since she would get them regardless). Instead of making it about getting presents she and I go on a Christmas get away , just us two. Her gift to me and my gift to her is the memories we make each year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              I buy Riley a couple of little gifts. If she needs shoes or clothes I throw those in as sacrificial gifts ( even though they really aren't since she would get them regardless). Instead of making it about getting presents she and I go on a Christmas get away , just us two. Her gift to me and my gift to her is the memories we make each year.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sadly, all it's turned into (and has for some time now) is anxiety, pressure, and obligation to buy *things*.

Comment

Nothing I love more than watching my kids open Christmas gifts.
                  Nothing I hate more than having to purchase gifts for wife and parents.
                  I can spend all day online (I do not do stores..) and buy my kids stuff with no effort and know im getting the right stuff...
                  I can spend an eternity online and never find anything our parents want or need...or something I think my wife would find nice.
                  When I want something, I buy it.
                  I expect and tell her to do the same.
                  Parents get gift cards to home depot and/or McDonalds.
                  (And I have received those both back as re-gifts from my Dad on more than one occasion..)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Christmas really has nothing to do with shopping or presents!

But you sir, do seem to be a certified Scrooge!!!

Bisch
                    You have no idea, he's a Scrooge all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
                      Sadly, all it's turned into (and has for some time now) is anxiety, pressure, and obligation to buy *things*.
                      Yep.

Comment

Crass materialism is a part of Christmas because it is part of the human condition. As meaningful and sacred as the season is to me, I enjoy the secular side of Christmas as well. I like the decorations, the parties, the gift giving and most of all the chance for the family to gather.

Comment

I enjoy the secular side of Christmas as well. I like the decorations, the parties, the gift giving and most of all the chance for the family to gather.
                          Me too jerp, me too.

Comment

A healthy combo of "real" Christmas and secular festivus seems to be just about right for me. A time for reflection, family, counting blessings, giving thanks, worship....combined with some pretty cool gifts.

Comment

Sign me up for the club too. I have no idea what to buy the wife, or mother. In-laws forget it. I can get the kids things but I only get things they need, not so much what they want.

I really miss the true meaning of Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X