Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default Any youtube videos or other websites on land management for WT based off eastern tx?

I watch some videos on youtube that are whitetail management how toos, one of which is Whitetail Habitat Solutions on youtube. That guy has some good info on building small acreage deer habitat. But all his stuff is based on land in the midwest and up north. Is there a site or youtube channel that deals specifically with small property whitetail management in eastern tx? Land management in central/western tx is pretty simple, put out feed and attract deer. On my property in Navarro i'm prob trying to do the near impossible because property limitations but I enjoy working toward my goals. I have raw land and trying to do everything I can to maximize it's potential. Would love some extra info to watch to see what all land managers are doing to maximize their herd and attract more deer, to whatever degree they can.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere!

It isn't the same by any stretch of the imagination but...... Growing Deer TV with Dr. Grant Woods has a ton of great information. I know they also deal in client land management. I had the opportunity to listen to him speak in Pairs TX once and he was very knowledgeable. Give him a search on the youtubes.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I’ll check it out
Old 09-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Yeah like TxSpinner said, Growing Deer TV is another good one. I watch both Growing Deer and WHS on youtube to try to improve my place, but it's tough when neither of them have the same terrain as where I am in Oklahoma. I take tid bits of info from both and apply where I can.

I'm in the same place as you and want to improve my property. I'm contemplating on putting out a protein feeder, but I feel I'd waste money doing free choice and I may just try to do food plots, and improve habitat.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Yeah like TxSpinner said, Growing Deer TV is another good one. I watch both Growing Deer and WHS on youtube to try to improve my place, but it's tough when neither of them have the same terrain as where I am in Oklahoma. I take tid bits of info from both and apply where I can.

I'm in the same place as you and want to improve my property. I'm contemplating on putting out a protein feeder, but I feel I'd waste money doing free choice and I may just try to do food plots, and improve habitat.
I'm trying to find other alternatives to making my place more attractive besides feed. My deer won't hardly eat any other supplemental feed other than corn, been trying about a full yr now. Different proteins, protein blocks, powder attractants, rice bran etc. Food plots are pretty good but we have so much of a variety of great natural browse it seams they can take it or leave it when the conditions are good. I am feeding my small local herd but we don't seem to be attracting new talent much. I'm hoping this yr with a slightly bigger footprint we will see more once the bucks start roaming. I just want them to stay once they find me.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I'm trying to find other alternatives to making my place more attractive besides feed. My deer won't hardly eat any other supplemental feed other than corn, been trying about a full yr now. Different proteins, protein blocks, powder attractants, rice bran etc. Food plots are pretty good but we have so much of a variety of great natural browse it seams they can take it or leave it when the conditions are good. I am feeding my small local herd but we don't seem to be attracting new talent much. I'm hoping this yr with a slightly bigger footprint we will see more once the bucks start roaming. I just want them to stay once they find me.
After watching some of the videos from WHS, he states to not plant spring plots or feed during the summer months, and to try to keep the deer on your place during the day time during deer season. I'm not really sure what to think of that.

I'm with you though. I have fed rice bran and have 3 feeders currently running, but I barely get deer to hit my feeders somewhat regularly and the rice bran is hit or miss. I think the main thing about my place is the amount of cover and the pressure on put on my ground. I don't have a shooter that lives on my property after about February and I haven't gotten a picture of one yet. I'm getting anxious waiting to see if they will return or not. Last season I had 3-4 shooter bucks show up in early October and stick around for the season, then disappear after season. Hoping the same happens this year.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
TxAg
Pope & Young

Deer University podcast Episode 35

They have a nice study they discuss on this episode. Said deer care more about cover than they do food. They need both, but all their experiments point towards cover. It's worth an hour of your time
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Deer University podcast Episode 35

They have a nice study they discuss on this episode. Said deer care more about cover than they do food. They need both, but all their experiments point towards cover. It's worth an hour of your time
Yep, deer want to feel that security. So things like having a bedding area, not running around on an ATV/UTV when not necessary, screens around your food plots, etc. will make a difference to your deer herd.
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I have really good cover, but like the native browse so does a lot of the area. I’ve seen a lot about hinge cutting trees but wondering if that’s more of a northern thing. I just don’t see why it would help with the amount of thick cover along several creek beds.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have really good cover, but like the native browse so does a lot of the area. Iíve seen a lot about hinge cutting trees but wondering if thatís more of a northern thing. I just donít see why it would help with the amount of thick cover along several creek beds.
Well listen to the podcast to find out
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #11
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I plan on it
Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
I watch some videos on youtube that are whitetail management how toos, one of which is Whitetail Habitat Solutions on youtube. That guy has some good info on building small acreage deer habitat. But all his stuff is based on land in the midwest and up north. Is there a site or youtube channel that deals specifically with small property whitetail management in eastern tx? Land management in central/western tx is pretty simple, put out feed and attract deer. On my property in Navarro i'm prob trying to do the near impossible because property limitations but I enjoy working toward my goals. I have raw land and trying to do everything I can to maximize it's potential. Would love some extra info to watch to see what all land managers are doing to maximize their herd and attract more deer, to whatever degree they can.
Check out GrowingDeerTv with Grant Woods. Grant has developed a common sense approach to Deer management. The thing is they work. It is mostly based on making a habitat that is compatible for Keystone species and optimizing the limiting factor whether that be food, cover, water, security. That concept will work anywhere,
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Grant Woods is great I also watch the Management Advantage. They have many videos on Southern States style hunting like in Alabama, Georgia, etc. There isn't much of East Texas on YouTube but these states the hunting is very similar.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Grant Woods and Wildlife Habitat Solutions are my go to guys.

This is your tool to help outline your property and track improvements
https://thehuntersight.com
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Gonna be some good info with this thread.

I noticed you questioned hinge cutting. It is good the first couple of years then, the cut stuff starts shadowing out the ground vegetation which is where 95 percent of the deer food is at.

Thinning timber is the one single thing you can do to improve your property for deer. Getting sunlight to the ground is paramount.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post

I noticed you questioned hinge cutting. It is good the first couple of years then, the cut stuff starts shadowing out the ground vegetation which is where 95 percent of the deer food is at.

Thinning timber is the one single thing you can do to improve your property for deer. Getting sunlight to the ground is paramount.
^^^ This. Anything to clear out the canopy and get good ground bed growth. In the words of Mark Drury, “Deer live 5ft and below.” Yes it’s obvious statement when you hear it, but it’s true. Yes acorns and other trees benefit deer, but a lot of times they only need things from 5ft down, meaning good ground growth.

Last edited by TheHammer; 09-18-2019 at 09:26 AM.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

In my area food is in no short demand. The ground is extremely fertile and there is a good mix of heavy timber and open pasture with a wide variety of browse. I had some forrestry mulching done to thin some areas on my original land, my back 76 already had some open areas maybe 30-40% which is overgrown pasture land and the remaining 60-70% heavy rolling timber with creek beds.
My main down fall is that the area is broken into alot of smaller ranchetts ranging mostly 20-80 acre range. I do have one pretty good size ranch neighbor that is about 300-400acres of just ranch land.
There is alot of homes in the area so deer are use to human traffic.

I enjoy watching deer habitat videos but I just don't know how applicable the techniques used in the midwest will be in my area. We also have good supplies of water so don't think that is an issue either.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

The main things I pull out from these videos is food, water, cover, security. I think if you have to figure out which of those 4 you are lacking in and find ways to improve it. And, it may be slight changes that make your property the ideal property for the deer.

Things I think about are maybe a food source that the deer can't get anywhere around you...maybe soybeans in the late winter or soybeans period. Or possibly small water sources that are strategically placed. Or maybe it's entrance and exit routes to stands.

Those deer need a place where they can't see you, smell you, or hear you.

I'm just thinking out loud here. And, I'm in the same boat as you with my place. Just trying to figure it out.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #19
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Thinning really does a place good for hunting.

We thin periodically at our camp. 40-80 acres at a time and just get the marketable stuff >18Ē. Makes you a few bucks and really puts a lot of food on the ground for deer and turkeys.
Attached Images

Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #20
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
In my area food is in no short demand. The ground is extremely fertile and there is a good mix of heavy timber and open pasture with a wide variety of browse. I had some forrestry mulching done to thin some areas on my original land, my back 76 already had some open areas maybe 30-40% which is overgrown pasture land and the remaining 60-70% heavy rolling timber with creek beds.
My main down fall is that the area is broken into alot of smaller ranchetts ranging mostly 20-80 acre range. I do have one pretty good size ranch neighbor that is about 300-400acres of just ranch land.
There is alot of homes in the area so deer are use to human traffic.

I enjoy watching deer habitat videos but I just don't know how applicable the techniques used in the midwest will be in my area. We also have good supplies of water so don't think that is an issue either.
I know itís a completely different area/state Jack, but youíd be surprised in the Midwest on how small the tracts are. Most ďfarmsĒ are 40-250 acre tracts. Like I said, may not even be in the same ballpark. And the whole region up there is a giant food plot. Everywhere I have ever hunted up there, was just a small section of land really only big enough for one person to hunt.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #21
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I’m just curious if the deer there react the same as ours. I think terrain wise it’s pretty close to my area. I have started experimenting with some of the mock scrapes they have suggested.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Get away from supplemental feeding and turn to food plots. The reason they wont eat supplemental feed is they are getting plenty of feed from the natural browse.

They will eat Soybeans a lot better than supplemental feed.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #23
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I do a lot of foodplots spring and fall, and they def hit them as well