Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does “Behind the Shoulder” mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    I'll watch the video after my response to see how it lines up. I typically try to put my arrow about 4-6 " behind the shoulder and about 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest

I guess it depends on what you are defining as “the shoulder”. The blade? The second joint?
    Here is another video I made. Is this the placement you described?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That second vid is close to where I try to hit. From that point and forward to the spot in the first vid.

Comment

Thanks for the refresher. Good reminder before season starts.

Comment

I always aim for top of heart/bottom of lungs...in the center of the chest cavity.

Learned a long time ago to NEVER shoot at a deer that is looking at you like in the second video.

Comment

That second vid is close to where I try to hit. From that point and forward to the spot in the first vid.

You could benefit from watching the first video

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              You could benefit from watching the first video
              I did after my first reply....just like I said I would. Even referenced it in a follow up reply

Comment

In the shoulder

I shoot them in the shoulder ... dropped a 360 lb Nilgai and everything else drops in the shoulder .

Comment

I was pleased at the time with the shot. Saw her walking down the fence line 45 minutes later like she was fine. Ended up having to finish her off hours later. Straight gut shot. Not even liver. Man was I surprised.

Comment

Good video! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It was a good hit. Although his the description of "the deadly V" isn't what I was taught it's still a lethal area. But his description covered the shoulder blade. That said, his premise is correct.

Gary

Comment

The vid referred shooting in the "V", I always looked at it as a "hollow" spot. When the front leg goes forward, a "hollow" spot can be seen. Just remember, his advice is solid for ground blind hunters. Treestanders, point of aim will change. Good vid.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Put the pin where the offside elbow is located, broadside or quartering away. Lethal shot 100% of the time.

Good vid, good info.

This is a great practice. The only thing I would add is making sure the back side leg is straight down when sending it.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                            This is a great practice. The only thing I would add is making sure the back side leg is straight down when sending it.

Yessir, that is one reason I like a post/vertical sight vs a horizontal. Offside elbow isn't going to vary to terribly much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              I was pleased at the time with the shot. Saw her walking down the fence line 45 minutes later like she was fine. Ended up having to finish her off hours later. Straight gut shot. Not even liver. Man was I surprised.

Yeah, she was quartering to a bit. I woulda thought you would have still got both lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                The vid referred shooting in the "V", I always looked at it as a "hollow" spot. When the front leg goes forward, a "hollow" spot can be seen. Just remember, his advice is solid for ground blind hunters. Treestanders, point of aim will change. Good vid.

This doe was taken from a tree stand. 15’ up and she was 14 yards from the tree. In my opinion we should never hit in the top third of the deer no matter what the angle is. Our deer are not very wide around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X