Career ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career ideas?

I’m 26, I have a wife and a 9 month old daughter, I have had a steady job for the last 5 years that pays pretty decent. But it doesn’t provide medical benefits and I fear I have come to a dead end on the pay scale. I am constantly questioning myself on what direction to go as far as a career change. I was pretty dead set on trying to get on with Union Pacific but recently have been second guessing that move as I’ve heard about some major layoffs in recent years. I have considered joining hpd, but that would require me to do some time in school which I’m not opposed to but my wife isn’t too crazy about that idea. I have also thought about the oil field but I know layoffs are a big possibility there too. What would y’all do if you were in my shoes? I have a high school diploma and went to welding school but honestly got tired of working in welding shops. The only welding I would still consider is tig and probably welding pipe. But I just feel like there’s other options out there. I have had the thought of joining the army reserves but don’t really know what all benefits I would gather from that either. Any info or opinions is appreciated. Thanks, Alex

Take a look at Austin Police Dept. If you get in early and stick it out, the benefits are awesome. Also, they get a TON of OT from events and churches in town.

I work with a company as a sub to DoD contracts, company pays all my insurance and max 401k.

I remember being in your shoes, except I was 28.
    Networking is the best!

What are you passionate about?

Comment

Wind Turbine Technician. Fastest growing job in Texas, they’re putting up sites everywhere. The company I work for is putting up 250 more near the site I’m at. With your background in welding that might help you get on as a site tech so you wouldn’t have to travel. There’s also schooling for a certificate that would help with hiring.

Comment

You ever thought about going into the fire department? Best job in the world. Good pay. Awesome benefits. Great schedule.

It’s not for everybody but it’s a fulfilling job that has way more pros than cons.

Comment

What is your wife's reasoning behind not wanting you to go back to school?

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
            What is your wife's reasoning behind not wanting you to go back to school?
            I should have worded that differently, she doesn’t mind me going to school, it’s me being a cop she’s not too crazy about. Just because she worries about my safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
              You ever thought about going into the fire department? Best job in the world. Good pay. Awesome benefits. Great schedule.

It’s not for everybody but it’s a fulfilling job that has way more pros than cons.
              Honestly no, I haven’t thought about that at all, but I’m intrigued and will definitely look into it. Thank you.

Comment

Have you thought about being a hitman targeting feral hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post

i have been a cop for 14 years but wish i would have went fire instead. i work in the schools now and talk to a lot of kids about what they want to do and literally tell them to become a fireman and learn how to weld lol...or learn HVAC/plumbing/sprinklers/masonry or some type of trade and have that as a part time gig to make your spending money.

if you already have the welding certs behind you, i would definitely check out some of the FD's around you. it isnt easy to get hired, you may need to start at a smaller city but it makes it easier to get hired at a big city later if you want to.

Comment

Find a way to start your own company. Most people will never be happy working for someone else. Keep your current job and figure out what "service type" business your community needs. Go to other towns and see what successful business they have that your town doesn't. Start small and when it grows enough that you cant keep two jobs then you have made it. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
                      I should have worded that differently, she doesn’t mind me going to school, it’s me being a cop she’s not too crazy about. Just because she worries about my safety.
                      Ok, I see what you meant now.

Comment

If you have the time to go to school . Become a process operator.. it cost me 15k to go to school for it. Great benefits good money. You just have to like shift work.

Comment

10 year cop here. It has kept me fed and a roof over my head. Firemen don't deal with as many people who hate them. That being said. I'd be willing to bet the mortality rate is less than most gigs. You just hear about it more when one of us dies. I made the same decision you are making at 25. Walked away from a steady job and insurance to go play cops and robbers. My first gig was $2/hour less than what I was making before I left my job. I wouldn't change it for anything though.

Comment

Probably a good move not going with Union Pacific, I did 10 months as a Carman and quit. Good bennies but not worth it to me. Some Refineries still hire mechanical maintenance personnel. If you dont tig pipe then learn it. It got me on 14yrs ago, best job I've ever had.

Comment

The electrical trade has been good to me. Starting out as an apprentice may be tough depending on what you’re making right now though. Other than that start putting in for plant operations jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X