New Property - Shop and Home Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Property - Shop and Home Build

I finally talked the wife into moving back out of the city limits and bought a place outside of town. I got 10 acres of raw land with mixed timber. We have started clearing the underbrush and a few of the trees off the property a couple weeks back. Our plan is to build a 40x60x14 shop with a 24x60 lean to and a 24x40 lean to off both sides with 3 12' roll up doors and 2 walk thru doors. Also plan to put in a corner office/apt to live in while we build our house with a covered porch!

roughly 2200-2400 sqft brick home. still working on plans

Meeting with water and power company next week to figure all of that out but we are making progress!

Here are a few pics.

It was thick as you can tell from the photos here

Please give me all of the tips you can think of and everything you wish you would have done if you were to build again. I want to try to do everything right the first time

Last edited by csmith936; 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Going to be an awesome thread! Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Going to be an awesome thread! Congrats
        My wife said im more excited about the shop than the house. I think she is right

Comment

Clear all of the sweet gum trees if you have any.

Comment

Originally posted by LMiz View Post
            Clear all of the sweet gum trees if you have any.
            funny that you mentioned that. Thats the first thing we started getting rid of. Only leaving oaks, a few pines, and a few cedars

Comment

Wow! gonna be a heck of a pour. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                Wow! gonna be a heck of a pour. Congrats!
                Might as well do it right the first time

Comment

Burn when and as often as you can.

When I started clearing, I got in over my head and had piles and piles to burn. House is almost build and I still have a huge stump pile I need to burn.

I enjoyed going out there and spending hours on the chainsaw cutting and topping the trees to be cut again into split sizes. If I could do it again, I would have cut into split sizes and threw them on a trailer all at once to take to the wood shed but I didn't. Still have about 2 cords to be split.

Enjoy it because I did and we are excited to move.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                    Burn when and as often as you can.

When I started clearing, I got in over my head and had piles and piles to burn. House is almost build and I still have a huge stump pile I need to burn.

I enjoyed going out there and spending hours on the chainsaw cutting and topping the trees to be cut again into split sizes. If I could do it again, I would have cut into split sizes and threw them on a trailer all at once to take to the wood shed but I didn't. Still have about 2 cords to be split.

Enjoy it because I did and we are excited to move.
                    I'm headed out tomorrow to burn quite a bit of it over the weekend. its a huge pile about 60 yards long now

Comment

Man, that is going to be nice. You asked for advice, so here it comes. . .

Have you thought about using stone instead of brick for the house? If not, please do so. :-) It seems like a more natural rock would fit better than brick. Then again, my wife often tells me I don't know what I am talking about. Haaaa. Will be great either way. . . but greater (haaa) with stone.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        Man, that is going to be nice. You asked for advice, so here it comes. . .

Have you thought about using stone instead of brick for the house? If not, please do so. :-) It seems like a more natural rock would fit better than brick. Then again, my wife often tells me I don't know what I am talking about. Haaaa. Will be great either way. . . but greater (haaa) with stone.
                        Shop is built how I want it. She can build the house like she wants it!

Comment

looking good so far!

Comment

You got your work cut out for you!

Comment

Made a little more progress this weekend but still a long way to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X