What did I do to my wagyu??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
    I don’t cook a steak for 5 minutes TOTAL, much less per side....
    Yep, i think this is OP problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      As evidenced by the WIDELY varied ways folks cook steaks, it's pretty obvious it is really hard to mess up a steak!
      Haha!!!! This is true.

Comment

Jordan, was the guy you bought them from a big ole guy dark hair and kinda sasquatchy with the hair? Could have been wearing something with LSU on it?

Originally posted by TC View Post
        Sounds to me like you got ripped off to me. Cooking them hot and fast wouldn't have made them any tougher. Steaks are supposed to be cooked hot and fast. When I say hot and fast, by grates are about 700 degrees. For cooking steaks, a set of aluminum grill grates makes ALL the difference in the world. I go 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, flip. 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, move to top of the cookmore to get it off the grates. It'll sit there another minute or 2 until they get to an internal temp of about 122ish. Once they hit that they go into a piece of foil, pour a little clarified unsalted butter on them, then wrap and rest for about 8 minutes. I was just thinking about doing a write up on steaks like it did for brisket a few years ago.
        those look tasty and Im digging that grill!!!

Comment

High heat over mesquite coals....3 minutes per side on a 1.5" bone-in ribeye for a nice med rare with a dark (but not carbon) outside. I could not fathom cooking a steak for 14 minutes. I don't even cook hamburger that long.

If gas, I go to 500 and do 4 minutes per. Gas over 500 on my Weber tends to get flamey and burns up my "grate seasoning"...

Comment

you guys need to get on the reverse sear train.

Comment

I guess I'm going to be "that guy"...

Souse Vide and a pear burner... just sayin'

Comment

Go to Schmittys on Mahaffey for a helluva ribeye. It's hand cut to order and all CAB. They're the best steaks I have found.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                  you guys need to get on the reverse sear train.

This. I haven't take the cover off my charcoal burner in a while, and the last time was to cook meat other than steak.

Comment

3 things needed for a great steak
                    1) excellent meat
                    2) bring completely to room temp
                    3) Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Unsalted Butter

How you cook it is your business

Comment

He said he beat his meat!

Comment

For the best steak I hear you cook it in a plastic bag in water.

NOT!!

Comment

First problem most of you have is cooking by time. You cook to a temp. Time means nothing unless you are baking. Variables that all go against cooking by time. Thickness of steak, cut of steak, quality of steak, temp at grill, etc. You can't tell me cooking at 1" thick rib-eye at 600 on each side for 2 minutes is the same cooking a 3" filet at 400 for 2 minutes. Get a good instant thermometer and learn your grill. Cook at a set temp over time and you will learn a rough time of how long before you need to start poking steak for internal temp. I ruined a many a steak before buying a quality thermometer. It has help me tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            What do you mean by this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American Style Kobe Beef is exquisitely marbled for peak flavor and tenderness. Don't miss out on this culinary delight, order your steaks online today.

Please give a 4 pack of ribeye a try

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              For the best steak I hear you cook it in a plastic bag in water.

NOT!!

Have you ever tried a properly cooked sous vide steak?

Key word being “properly”

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                                First problem most of you have is cooking by time. You cook to a temp. Time means nothing unless you are baking. Variables that all go against cooking by time. Thickness of steak, cut of steak, quality of steak, temp at grill, etc. You can't tell me cooking at 1" thick rib-eye at 600 on each side for 2 minutes is the same cooking a 3" filet at 400 for 2 minutes. Get a good instant thermometer and learn your grill. Cook at a set temp over time and you will learn a rough time of how long before you need to start poking steak for internal temp. I ruined a many a steak before buying a quality thermometer. It has help me tremendously.

I'm gonna bet that most of the folks that cook by time above know their grill and when to adjust depending on cut of meat. Probably basing the time on the cut of meat the OP stated specifically. I know I did....I even included the width in mine..

I have some nice insta-read thermos for my smoker (Thermopops/pens etc)but never reach for them cooking over mesquite or gas. Old timer taught me the thumb to fingers trick for checking steaks and its been pretty good to me and others I know that use it...

Comment

Working...
                                X