Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan
Default Dogs and new babies...

I have an 8 year old Vizsla that is my best friend. I’ve had her through some rough times and we’ve been all over Texas together. She’s slept with my nieces and nephews and has been around older kids the last 4 years.

My son was born 8/10/2017 and he just started crawling in the last 2 weeks. My Vizsla is pretty jealous of the baby even when I try to give her what little extra time I have. For 8 years she’s been all of my free time, so it’s a big adjustment.

Last week she snapped at my son when he tried to crawl over her. I was not in the room and wouldn’t have let that happen, but I can’t be there all the time. She didn’t get him, but it was a clear warning. On Thursday, my wife had my son in her arms and my dog was laying on the bed. She let my son pet Coco and Coco turned around and nipped him above the eye. It was enough to break skin.

So now I sit here trying to decide what to do. Anyone that has a young kid knows they are all over the place. The last few days I’ve kept my dog out of the family areas using a baby gate but Vizslas don’t do well when they are isolated from the family.

I know many people here think dogs are tools, but this dog has been my best friend through some rough times over the years. We literally did everything together.

At this point I feel like my only choices are to gate her away from the baby (which is difficult with in-home childcare) or find a couple without kids or with older kids that will take her.

Any ideas from the green screen? Anyone have/had a similar problem? I love my dog, but I love my son more.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I have an 8 year old Vizsla that is my best friend. Iíve had her through some rough times and weíve been all over Texas together. Sheís slept with my nieces and nephews and has been around older kids the last 4 years.

My son was born 8/10/2017 and he just started crawling in the last 2 weeks. My Vizsla is pretty jealous of the baby even when I try to give her what little extra time I have. For 8 years sheís been all of my free time, so itís a big adjustment.

Last week she snapped at my son when he tried to crawl over her. I was not in the room and wouldnít have let that happen, but I canít be there all the time. She didnít get him, but it was a clear warning. On Thursday, my wife had my son in her arms and my dog was laying on the bed. She let my son pet Coco and Coco turned around and nipped him above the eye. It was enough to break skin.

So now I sit here trying to decide what to do. Anyone that has a young kid knows they are all over the place. The last few days Iíve kept my dog out of the family areas using a baby gate but Vizslas donít do well when they are isolated from the family.

I know many people here think dogs are tools, but this dog has been my best friend through some rough times over the years. We literally did everything together.

At this point I feel like my only choices are to gate her away from the baby (which is difficult with in-home childcare) or find a couple without kids or with older kids that will take her.

Any ideas from the green screen? Anyone have/had a similar problem? I love my dog, but I love my son more.
Can you make her an outside dog?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

I'm not the best for advice on this but my thought is you may need to give her to someone.
Maybe take her to the Vet first to see if she has something ailing her that makes her hurt or is painful to her. Even if the Vet finds an issue I would probably still be wondering if it might happen again. That's why I think giving her away to someone you know or approve will be the answer. Hate to hear it for you.
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Hard as it is, the dog needs to go. We had yorkie who my wife loved dearly. When my son was born, we had her almost two years. She started losing it and couldn’t understand. One nip and I told her the dog is leaving. She was upset but knew it was the right decision. I found an adoption agency who placed her with some elderly folks. She went back to being herself and was a great dog again. If the dog hurts your baby you’ll never forgive yourself. Good luck and enjoy these times with your boy. They grow quick
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Iíve always had large dogs since I was living on my own, Rottweilers,German Shepherdsand mastiffs. I took a class on dog training back in the 80ís and I learned a lot about dog behavior, I was single unmarried til I was 41 and didnít have kids til I was 44. I had 2 dogue de Bordeauxís and they were our kids until our son was born. They were older and passed before my sons were born my wife and I missed having a dogue so we bought another pup and socialized her into our pack as our boys have gotten older she knows her place we eat first the boys can walk her , all 135 lbs of her. She protects the family while we are here and like most mastiffs are very loyal. Vizlas are very loyal also but the dog mentality is that her place is next to you as the alpha female and doesnít respect your child . Itís prevelant with dominant breed dogs. When my wife and I got our first mastiff and he was a pup I showed her how to show our male her dominance over him when he was a 100 lb 9 month old. She gave him a Tbone and I told her to take it from him, she tried nervously and he growled I said now watch as I commanded him to sit and took the bone as mine we worked on that drill until she had no fear or nervousness around him. Never again did he growl snap or try anything after she set her dominance over him as a pup. You have to make her understand her place in your pack she wonít like it but she will adhere to it if you persist.
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I am sure it's an excruciating decision but the dog needs to go to a new home or be made a full time outside dog. I think sometimes we forget that while dogs can be great pets and be considered family members they are still animals that can not reason.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
Playa
Pope & Young

I’ll be the dissenting voice. The dog is just being a dog. It’s pack structure has changed and it’s trying to identify where it is in the order. Asset yourself over the dog, display favor to the baby. Never leave the two alone. The dog will figure it’s been bumped down a notch
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Medina19
Eight Point

If I was put in this situation as much as I love my dog he would be gone that day.
Medina19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
shea.mcphail
Four Point

Hunt In: Canton

I’m facing the same situation. Our baby was born the day after Christmas, and we have had the dog for over nine years now. Our dog is still figuring out how the baby fits into the hierarchy, but she is learning. The dog growled at the baby once about a month ago, and I was all over her ***. The baby absolutely loves our dog. She tries to crawl down to the dog any chance she can get. Earlier tonight, the dog was licking our baby’s legs and feet. She’s starting to show improvement.

As stupid as some may feel, my wife and I have treated our dog like a child since we got her. If the dog was to bite the baby, I would feel horrible and give the dog to my dad or mother-in-law.

I would make sure to be involved in all interactions between the baby and dog. Our dog used to lay in our bed too. Sorry, but that has to end. Now. Hopefully, I don’t have to make the decision that you are facing. Good luck, brother.
shea.mcphail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #10
pervis
Ten Point

Try spanking the dog a good one next time it barks or even looks at the kid wrong let alone nip him. One good one is usually the only lesson my dog has ever needed. It's worth a shot b4 u have to consider getting rid of the dog. You just let the dog know, you step out of line again, the fear of jesus will be upon you.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #11
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Dog gone or child hurt . No brainier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
TxAg
Pope & Young

This isn't a hard choice.

Your child is infinitely more important than your dog.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
Icedown12pk
Six Point

Hunt In: Hondo

You also have to think about the next couple of years. If your son just started crawling he is going to be walking and testing his bourndries real soon. I have a 19 month old who is getting into anything and you can’t reason with them about not harassing the dog or pulling on a dogs tail or ears. If there is any sign that the dog will react negatively to him I think you have to find a way to separate them.
Icedown12pk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #14
eradicator
Pope & Young

Well, dog vs baby....
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
Dog gone or child hurt . No brainier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
X2
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #16
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Dog should have been knocked into next week the first time it happened and it prob wouldn't have happened a second time. The dog should be taught that under no circumstance is that kinda behavior allowed. We don't have any children yet( first one will be here in Nov) but we have a nephew who is always at the house. My catahoula loves him but the first time he tried to take a chew from her she growled at him...she learned the hard way that that kinda behavior won't be tolerated. He can now crawl all over her take her food bowl ECT and she doesn't do a thing. Dogs only get one chance in my book.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
I’ll be the dissenting voice. The dog is just being a dog. It’s pack structure has changed and it’s trying to identify where it is in the order. Asset yourself over the dog, display favor to the baby. Never leave the two alone. The dog will figure it’s been bumped down a notch
This. If every owner dumped their dog the first time it nipped at someone, very few people would own dogs... Your dog wasn’t trying to harm your boy.

Of course, your son is most important and it can’t happen again. As others have said, put the fear of God into her if she even looks at your kid wrong or growls, barks, etc. They can’t be left alone together.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
Acameron52
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Dog should have been knocked into next week the first time it happened and it prob wouldn't have happened a second time. The dog should be taught that under no circumstance is that kinda behavior allowed. We don't have any children yet( first one will be here in Nov) but we have a nephew who is always at the house. My catahoula loves him but the first time he tried to take a chew from her she growled at him...she learned the hard way that that kinda behavior won't be tolerated. He can now crawl all over her take her food bowl ECT and she doesn't do a thing. Dogs only get one chance in my book.
This x1000. The first time it happened I would’ve beat that dogs *** into next month. If it happened again it would’ve been gone within the hour. We always had heelers growing up and one snapped at one of my little cousins and was gone the next day, my dad didn’t play that game at all. I don’t have any kids of my own but I have a 4 year old niece that is over all the time. I guess I’m lucky but I’m pretty sure my Collie gets more excited to see my niece than she does to see me. Ella can crawl all over, take her food, pull her ears or whatever else and the dog enjoys every minute of it. I couldn’t imagine having a dog in the house that I couldn’t trust with a kid.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Our Catahoula was extremely jealous of our daughter when she was born. She never snapped at her, but she wouldn’t look at her. We recognized the signs of potential problems, so we didn’t let them have too much interaction. Now that Isabella is 18 months, Nola has accepted her as part of the family. She can crawl all over her without a problem. It helps a lot now that the baby feeds her from her high chair and wants to help fill her bowl too...
Encinal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #20
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
This. If every owner dumped their dog the first time it nipped at someone, very few people would own dogs... Your dog wasnít trying to harm your boy.

Of course, your son is most important and it canít happen again. As others have said, put the fear of God into her if she even looks at your kid wrong or growls, barks, etc. They canít be left alone together.
I agree with these guys, fist time she even curled a lip at the baby, she got a very stern warning ( ok grabbed and held down) Now my grand daughters 5 and they are buddies.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #21
Walker
Ten Point

Heard this several times in EMS. "My dog never bit anyone before. Before it bit the baby in the face." Do you really want to take the chance with your baby?
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

sorry to say........
Name:  full-8796-141280-well_bye.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  59.1 KB
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

My next door neighbor is an eye surgeon. He told me awhile back about how many eyes on children he has had to fix or attempt to fix because of dog bites. I hope you can make it work but I would never leave that dog closer to the child than I was from the dog. And I agree on smacking the crap out of that dog if it even looked sideways at the kid.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
LittleLizaMarie
Four Point

It could have been your sonís eyeball, or nose, or lip that she nipped, leaving permanent damage. I canít imagine what youíre going through having to choose but unfortunately itís not if but when your son gets seriously hurt, not to the fault of the dog. Sheís just being a dog, sheís not vicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LittleLizaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Dog gone!
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #26
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I would talk to a trainer. Like playa said there has been changes in everyone’s life.

I don’t think the dog needs to go. But that’s me.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
This isn't a hard choice.

Your child is infinitely more important than your dog.
Not a hard decision.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #28
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Any friends or family that will take the dog ?
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #29
TigerBob
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

We also faced this and like a few others on here have said, we needed to ensure the dog knew her place in the pack. Even though the baby/toddler doesn't seem like a dominant force, the dog must submit to all people in the house. I'm sure that yours, like mine, is challenging the new pack member to see who is in charge between the two of them. Keep working with her and the child through feedings, toys, allowing the child to crawl on her - all in a controlled situation (you right there helping) to ensure the dog submits and understands that no form of aggression towards the baby will be tolerated. If she cannot learn to submit or refuses to, then you have a tough decision to make.
TigerBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #30
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

If it were my Dog it would be rehomed if I didn’t shoot it first in a fit of rage.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

My dog growled twice at my kid when he started crawling. He's pretty soft hearted first time I yelled had a good gmface to snout talking. Second time I got physical enough to get his attention it turned him around on the dot. Now my kid crawls on him has jumped off the couch onto the floor in a full body slam off the ropes type and landed on the dog and the dog either gets up and walks away or doesn't move at all just looks at him and licks him. But he's never actually snapped at him. If he did he'd be gone
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #32
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
If it were my Dog it would be rehomed if I didnít shoot it first in a fit of rage.
Same here. Its a dog and thats your kid.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #33
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Put the dog outside more and only bring it in on occasion when thereís 0% chance it bites the baby (gating the hallway, kids not home, kids sleeping in a closed room, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
ACbob
Four Point

You already know what to do.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top