No announcement yet.

Homemade skull cleaning / bleaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a buck boiler this year. Wish I would have done it sooner. Just plug it in and check it every now and then. Then use the 40 volume hair stuff from Sally's.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I shot this hog 2 weeks ago and brought it to a guy by the house who charges $50 for deer and $100 for hogs. His deer looked really good so I let him do the hog. The hog still has some yellow spots that I would like to get rid of so what are my options?

My taxi in vidor wanted $300 to do the same thing and maybe it would have turned out better but I thought $300 was high for a skull mount on a hog.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It’s still full of grease, it needs to be soaked in a solution of dawn dish soap and water. May take a couple weeks, may take a few months but it will be done right. He probably didn’t pull the tusks and get the meat out of them either. Pull em clean me out and then I fill them w/ epoxy to keep them from cracking. If you don’t get the grease out it will always yellow over time no matter how much peroxide you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Hogg View Post
        Just out of curiosity do you think that was from the pressure washer or just from removing the cavity?
        Think it was more from me removing the nasal cavity and being in a hurry.
        On the bigger of the two I really didn't remove anything but the hide.
        Like I said the freezer went out once and I just refroze them and the smell was BAD. So I just took the hide off and boiled it I Arm & Hammer washing powder and baking soda.
        Most of the tissue just fell off the bone. The rest came off easy with the pressure washer.
        I had a 2500 psi washer, but one of the cheap electric would have worked better with less pressure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
            Hog skull method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is seriously one of the best DIY videos I have ever watched!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
              This is seriously one of the best DIY videos I have ever watched!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Yea that was a great video.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Homemade skull cleaning / bleaching

Here’s a hog skull I did, all the meat and brains and stuff were eaten by bugs while it laid on the ground for two weeks, I just boiled it to degrease and then bleached it with 40% peroxide. Was a really simple process.

Last edited by JES; 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

just a question when i lived down in texas(southlake , lease in montague county) set the heads in a fire ant nest for a week or so then boiled as described on above posts any body do it that way?

Comment

I do 100+ skulls a year and hate boiling/simmering! It is hot enough now to macerate a skull in a week or so and it will take less than 5 minutes to clean. Skin the hide off, cut out the tongue and eyes and put in container covering the skull with water up to the base of antlers. Latex gloves and needle nose pliers will pull everything off and then spray off with the water hose. Brain will be mush and will run out when you spray the water directly in the brain cavity. Degrease then whiten. Nothing to it.......and less time and attention than boiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
                      I do 100+ skulls a year and hate boiling/simmering! It is hot enough now to macerate a skull in a week or so and it will take less than 5 minutes to clean. Skin the hide off, cut out the tongue and eyes and put in container covering the skull with water up to the base of antlers. Latex gloves and needle nose pliers will pull everything off and then spray off with the water hose. Brain will be mush and will run out when you spray the water directly in the brain cavity. Degrease then whiten. Nothing to it.......and less time and attention than boiling.
                      A week. I'm patience won't allow that. The smell has to be worse than it was when I did mine.
                      It took 2-3 days for that smell to get out of my nose.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                          A week. I'm patience won't allow that. The smell has to be worse than it was when I did mine.
                          It took 2-3 days for that smell to get out of my nose.

LOL! Yeah, it gets pretty rank! I have a chest freezer that I rot in. Put the skulls in a Tupperware bin and put it in the freezer (6 skulls at a time). During the winter I run aquarium heaters to keep the temp around 85. The closed lid keeps the stink down......until I open it! I am used to it now.......smells like money. The good thing about it is I am cleaning skulls 24/7. The bacteria in the water is working while I am at work, the beach, hunting in Illinois!

Comment

Working...
                          X