No announcement yet.

New Riser Ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they don't fall out or shift when you unstring a bow?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

rick,
      Who makes the riser for John?
      Mark (San Angelo)

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        So they don't fall out or shift when you unstring a bow?

No. Very nice fit. Easy in, easy out, and no slack.

Originally posted by jmark100 View Post
        rick,
        Who makes the riser for John?
        Mark (San Angelo)
        Overseas, but don't remember the machinist.
        It is John's riser design, but he contracts out the machine work.
        That machinist has been building John's risers under different names & selling them.

John did say he is looking to soon be machining them here, either himself, or contracted to a US machinist, but he is able to significantly keep the cost down for the customer as he is doing it now.

John's exact words to me were - "Rick, I want to be able to provide really nice ILF risers to my customers without them having to take out a loan to buy them."

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          The Titan III is a great riser. If you get one you'll likely like it real well.

You're right about the puffs. I install mine at 10.5" from the ends of the loops when I build the strings, then make minor adjustments if needed for sound adjustment, and/or tuning tweaks

The puffs on this particular bow are 11.5" from the ends of the loops, and 12.5" from the ends of the limb tips.

Rick
          Thanks for the response, Rick. I'm going to move mine a little closer to the tips to see if it quiets some more.

Todd

Comment

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a Trad setup this year--this thread has been immensely helpful!

Comment

Good looking bow, like the riser length, long sight window & removable shelf, designed for shooting off the shelf is excellent idea

Comment

N
                That machinist has been building John's risers under different names & selling them.
                That is the issue with dealing overseas, no real laws. It is why you see so many copied broadheads on the market. If you look on Aliexpress and Alibaba you will find pretty much this exact same riser from several different sellers. The issue is buying from there you never know what quality you will get. I have heard some horror stories of some real junk that was delivered from poor QC practices over there. Buying from someone like Breathn, you may pay a little more, but you know he isn't going to sell you junk. If he gets a bad one he is going to get it taken care of before it ever gets to a customer. If you get a bad one straight from China, you are pretty much out the money you paid.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                  That is the issue with dealing overseas, no real laws. It is why you see so many copied broadheads on the market. If you look on Aliexpress and Alibaba you will find pretty much this exact same riser from several different sellers. The issue is buying from there you never know what quality you will get. I have heard some horror stories of some real junk that was delivered from poor QC practices over there. Buying from someone like Breathn, you may pay a little more, but you know he isn't going to sell you junk. If he gets a bad one he is going to get it taken care of before it ever gets to a customer. If you get a bad one straight from China, you are pretty much out the money you paid.
                  The trouble with that is even most name brand heads are built over seas. Rage broadheads are made in China. Probably in the same factory the knock offs I buy are.

Comment

Handsome bow Rick.

I enjoy reading and learning the technicalities you drop into your threads. Many technicalities go over my head initially.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      The trouble with that is even most name brand heads are built over seas. Rage broadheads are made in China. Probably in the same factory the knock offs I buy are.

We will never agree on the morality of buying knockoff's, so there is no sense in arguing about it. I do not want to further ruin Rick's thread with this tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                        We will never agree on the morality of buying knockoff's, so there is no sense in arguing about it. I do not want to further ruin Rick's thread with this tangent.
                        LOL, you're not ruining anything.

The good thing where my riser is concerned, I got it from the guy who designed it whether he machined it or not.

Rick

Comment

I think I understand your draw weight is 68lbs ish...?...what is your arrow breakdown? Length...deflection...FOC...overall weight...tip weight vs insert...etc.

Also...What degree do you cant or not?

Por favor. Gracias.
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-03-2018, 07:07 PM. Reason: TSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                            I think I understand your draw weight is 68lbs ish...?...what is your arrow breakdown? Length...deflection...FOC...overall weight...tip weight vs insert...etc.

Also...What degree do you cant or not?

Por favor. Gracias.
                            Current draw weight is 69.5# at my 29.5" draw.

Arrows are:

Widowmaker Smash .300's. Company out of Australia.

These shafts use hard aluminum Outserts weighing 40 gr, that are tapered to the shaft from the mid point back.

The outsert weight gets spit between the point, and the shaft.
                            25 gr to the point.
                            15 gr (tapered half) to the shaft.
                            This is due to the outsert being 1" longer than the spot where the shaft bottoms out inside of it.

The actual shaft length is 30.25", and they have to be calculated that way for dynamic spine, and FOC due to the extra 1" / 20 gr of outsert added to the point weight, which makes them measure 31.25" to back of the actual point.

175 gr points with two 5 gr brass washers,
                            plus the 25 gr of outsert = 210 gr of actual out front weight.

6" wraps with 3 X 4" Marco Soft Vanes.

.166 GTO Goldtip nocks.

Total weight 640 gr / 9.3 GPP.

FOC = 14.4%.

These are a little on the weak side in dynamic spine, but I need them that way to help get vane clearance, and they shoot great.

I don't cant unless I have to.

Rick

Comment

Current draw weight is 69.5# at my 29.5" draw.

Arrows are:

Widowmaker Smash .300's. Company out of Australia.

These shafts use hard aluminum Outserts weighing 40 gr, that are tapered to the shaft from the mid point back.

The outsert weight gets spit between the point, and the shaft.
                              25 gr to the point.
                              15 gr (tapered half) to the shaft.
                              This is due to the outsert being 1" longer than the spot where the shaft bottoms out inside of it.

The actual shaft length is 30.25", and they have to be calculated that way for dynamic spine, and FOC due to the extra 1" / 20 gr of outsert added to the point weight, which makes them measure 31.25" to back of the actual point.

175 gr points with two 5 gr brass washers,
                              plus the 25 gr of outsert = 210 gr of actual out front weight.

6" wraps with 3 X 4" Marco Soft Vanes.

.166 GTO Goldtip nocks.

Total weight 640 gr / 9.3 GPP.

FOC = 14.4%.

These are a little on the weak side in dynamic spine, but I need them that way to help get vane clearance, and they shoot great.

I don't cant unless I have to.

Rick
                              Dang Rick! Those arrows seem to be built like tanks!

I know you've probably answered this question before, but I'll ask for myself...why do you choose to shoot vanes rather than feathers? I realize your setup is a little different due to using them. Very interested to know the answer knowing how much you like to tinker and there is probably a good reason for your choice.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by twillgo View Post
                                Dang Rick! Those arrows seem to be built like tanks!

I know you've probably answered this question before, but I'll ask for myself...why do you choose to shoot vanes rather than feathers? I realize your setup is a little different due to using them. Very interested to know the answer knowing how much you like to tinker and there is probably a good reason for your choice.

Todd
                                They are definitely armor piercing arrows.

I shoot vanes for 4 reasons:

(1) - They are more durable than feathers by far.

(2) - They are impervious to moisture.
                                Zero effect from rain, and I can zip them through an animal, then wash them off, and they are ready to go again just as new.

(3) - They are much quieter in flight than feathers.

(4) - I hate building, and rebuilding arrows. #1 & #2 helps me with that.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X