Elephants killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephants killed

You hear several of our hunting industry leaders saying, "It is a counter intuitive reality, that hunting protects the animals. The funds raised from hunting gives the animal value, and they will be protected."

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't elephant hunting in Botswana end about 1-2 years ago. This article talks about the elephants being killed around parks, etc.

Conservationists found 87 elephant carcasses while conducting a wildlife survey in the country.

When your anti-hunting friends speak about 'trophy hunting' being bad, this is an example of the counter intuitive results of removing hunting. (Of course, Kenya is a great long term example of when you outlaw hunting as well.)

Appears it was banned in 2014. I imagine if hunting $ dried up then, protection for the animal would have stopped shortly after, and poaching would have started much sooner. Either way, sad deal all the way around.

https://theconversation.com/botswana...e-lifted-99379

Comment

I saw that....The game wardens were also disarmed. Makes you think their President is along with the bad guys. Sad.

Comment

Still have one running around Leon County.

Comment

Texans just need to bring them here like was done with every other African game species. In 20 years, there would be elephants everywhere.

Comment

Need to let rich guys buy poacher hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
              Still have one running around Leon County.
              An elephant?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                An elephant?
                Yep, you have to read up on Chew's Elephant story.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                  Yep, you have to read up on Chew's Elephant story.
                  Oh dear, I can’t imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                    I saw that....The game wardens were also disarmed. Makes you think their President is along with the bad guys. Sad.
                    Yep, and he got rid of the "shoot poachers on site". Poaching soared after this happened.

Comment

The people have a right to monetize and sustain their natural resources. Hope this will be a wake up call.

Has any African country implemented a way to successfully harvest rhino horn while letting the rhinos live? Seems there should be a way to.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        Appears it was banned in 2014. I imagine if hunting $ dried up then, protection for the animal would have stopped shortly after, and poaching would have started much sooner. Either way, sad deal all the way around.

https://theconversation.com/botswana...e-lifted-99379
                        You think those elephants were the first ones shot?

hah

Comment

Legal ivory was also made illegal in a few states. Several tons of ivory were destroyed by the us government. Price of ivory sky rocketed and the things were made easier on the poachers.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Texans just need to bring them here like was done with every other African game species. In 20 years, there would be elephants everywhere.
                            Ranches would charge you 60k for one, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                              Ranches would charge you 60k for one, lol
                              elephants here would be cool though

Comment

Working...
                              X