Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taco is the only option you listed

Comment

dadgum I got a $2 bill for my birthday from my grandmother.

Comment

The new Colorado/Canyon can’t be compared to the little mid 2000s models. With a turbo diesel option available on the GM, I would go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          No offense, but odds are a 16yo will probably total either truck before they wear out.
          This^^^^
          My dad bought me a brand new 1977 Datsun pickup when I turned 16. Being the stupid idiot that I used to be I trashed that thing. Many years later he told me it was one of his biggest mistakes raising me. I made my 3 boys purchase their own. I matched what they saved. They took good care of their first vehicles.

Comment

Taco

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              Tacoma hands down. All that technology is going to distract him in the Canyon. Not to mention they have really no resale value and won't last near as long. Not to mention maintenance costs will probably be cheaper in the long run on the Taco.
              Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Would they consider buying him a cheaper used truck for now that doesn't have distracting technological bells and whistles? 16 year olds don't need anything else to focus on while they're trying to drive. They suck at it bad enough already.

Then, the grandparents could put the rest of the money aside until he graduates, and they could buy the new truck then - after he's learned how to drive better and matured some. Just a thought. Sounds like you've probably had similar thoughts already though.
              On the technology, once you plug the phone in, its all on one button on the steering wheel. Click it, say to Siri Take me to Whataburger, or Call Mom, or whatever and it just does it. He doesnt have to take his eyes off the road at all. I found it really pretty cool and much safer then my truck.

I've begged to let me do the old truck thing. Buy him a tank and save the money for later, but this was outvoted due to reliability. I think they need the tax write-off, lol, but who am I argue. Hard to say no to free.

Comment

I was blessed to be given a new 2013 TRD Offroad Tacoma when I turned 16. Frankly, I do not have a single complaint about this truck. For 5 years now it's only been in the shop one time for a compressor replacement. Even after my younger years when I would always go mudding when it rained, it's held up better than any other truck I could think of. I don't have too much knowledge on Canyons but I would highly recommend a Tacoma.

Comment

The Tacoma doesnt have that technology??? My 2016 Tundra SR5 has it.

Comment

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Taco

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      The Tacoma doesnt have that technology??? My 2016 Tundra SR5 has it.
                      It does, but it is a bit clunkier with the Nav on your phone, requiring use of their app, etc. It wasnt a huge difference, but the GMC worked better.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider323 View Post
                        It does, but it is a bit clunkier with the Nav on your phone, requiring use of their app, etc. It wasnt a huge difference, but the GMC worked better.
                        My truck has navigation and once you set it up to recognize your phone you are set. Everything is on the steering wheel.

Comment

Lucky young man. Is there a big difference in insurance cost between the two? My cousin bought his 16 year old daughter a Colorado/Canyon two years ago. So far it’s held up well to her and did really well in an accident she had.

Comment

I have two 2016 Colorado trucks that are in my service fleet. These trucks are driven pretty hard every day with the beds loaded down with supplies. Probably avg about 400 to 500 pounds in the bed of them daily. Longevity has yet to be determined, but so far they are getting the job done with out issue. I know Toyota makes a good truck and have a good history.

I would imagine most kids get rid of there first car after college anyways. So I would consider that as well. Do you think it will be kept until he is 30 or even 25?

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
                              Lucky young man. Is there a big difference in insurance cost between the two? My cousin bought his 16 year old daughter a Colorado/Canyon two years ago. So far it’s held up well to her and did really well in an accident she had.
                              Pretty similar. Not getting a 4x4 for him on this truck so that helps on insurance too.

Comment

The largest part of "total cost of ownership" by far is depreciation. Tacos hold their resale value much better than the Canyon. That will pay off when the truck is later sold or from the insurance company if he totals it. I have an 06 Taco with over 300K HARD miles on it and it has never needed a major repair, just normal maintenance and wear items like brakes, batteries, ect. Only now does it use about a quart of oil between oil changes.

BTW, Tacoma trucks are made right here in the great state of TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                                X