Nannie Stringfellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nannie Stringfellow

I was drawn for Archery at Nannie Stringfellow. Has anyone hunted there? Looking for some tips and ideas. Thanks.

If we get any any rain, the mosquitoes can be brutal. It is also normally really muddy, but right now of course, it's dry as a powder puff. If you have an ATV, or can borrow one, bring it. That will allow a bigger selection of compartments that you can choose. Some places they don't like you to drive a truck in because of the making ruts. Bring corn if you don't mind hunting over bait. As far as my favorite compartments, I would rather keep that secret because I'll be trying for standby.

The two dudes that run the place are awesome, very helpful and professional. Congratulations, you've drawn an excellent hunt.

Comment

I have hunted NS WMA since it opened. Marc and Ernest are top notch. My kids grew up hunting there. As Palehorse said the mosquitoes and mud can be brutal if you are not used to it. I hunted stand-by archery last year and had 1 kill and 1 miss. There is always some decent deer seen and a few killed every year. 2yrs ago I carried a youth from my church because my kids are too old to do the youth hunts and he killed a 130". Which is pretty good for Brazoria Co. I will probably see you out there. Good luck.

Tips and Ideas- In Dec. the deer come to corn eagerly unfortunately so do the hogs and there is usually a bunch of hogs.
      Find an intersection of trails,yellow brick road the heck out of it and wait something will show.

Comment

I was going to go out there in the next couple of days and talk to them. Did y'all use tripods or popups? Hope to see both of you out there.

Comment

good luck i put in for it but no luck ,, let us know how it goes!

Comment

I use a ladder stand and my son uses a hang on. Call them at the office before you go. They also do alot of work at some of the other WMA in the area. You might want to consider coming out at the youth hunts after the hunters start coming in. You can gather quite a bit of info then.

Comment

I've used a pop up and it can work really well if you pick the right spot. It is really thick in most places though, so a tripod or ladder stand like kutnshoot recommends might be the better way to go. One cool thing to note, the whitetails here are a different subspecies than they have in the rest of Texas. It's called an Avery Island Whitetail (v. mcilhennyi). The biggest difference between them and the other subspecies is when they rut. Here the rut starts about right now in the last part August and peaks in September.
              Last edited by Palehorse; 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Downwind The buck in my avitar is a Nannie Stringfellow buck he was killed by that young man with a rifle 2 yrs ago. The young man is a friend from church (rent a kid).

Comment

Originally posted by kutnchute View Post
                  Downwind The buck in my avitar is a Nannie Stringfellow buck he was killed by that young man with a rifle 2 yrs ago. The young man is a friend from church (rent a kid).

That is a great look critter. Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to getting out there and hunting. I talked with one of the guys and he told me to call him before I came out to make sure they were there and to get a map of the place. I ask a bunch of questions and he answered all of them and gave some very good advice. I will be going out there in a few days to get the map and ask a few more questions. He said the that the crossbow hunters did not whack anything while the other archery hunters scored a little over 50%. I am gonna listen to what they say and what y'all have said and go for it. I am excited to get drawn for this hunt.

Comment

I gat a call from Marc at Nannie asking if I had any more questions and he gave me some updates on the hunting conditions there. Unless there is a lot of rain in the next couple weeks he said we could drive our trucks to the hunting areas. He said that the fawn crop was great this year and that the place had a lot of deer on it and that it was almost a 1 to 1 buck/doe ratio. He did give me some advice on where and how to hunt. He was very helpful and I did appreciate him calling and talking with me.

Comment

Marc's a great guy. Went to SFA with him.

My advice - bring some Thermacell's. At least two. You'll be glad you did.

Access shouldn't be much of a problem this year with the drought.

Comment

Working...
                      X