• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new set of arrows

Good evening trad fellows.

I would need yalls experience.

Its time to make a new set of arrows.
    Right now im shooting easton axis 400 at about 30" with a 1 inch alu footing.
    75grain brassinsert, 180 grain points/broadheads.
    Im very happy with these shafts and ill stick with them.

The only thing is, im considering using 50 grain inserts instead of the 75.
    that would bring my arrow from 552grain with 23% foc down to 527 grain with 21.7%. That would help quiet a bit when shooting further out in 3d shoots.

The thing is i also want to hunt with this setup..
    So my question is.
    Would the difference in foc and weight make a big difference in penetration?
    Do yall see any problem hunting with a 527 grain arrow with 21,7% foc?

or should i stick with the 75 insert?
    i have about 53-54# at my draw.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel,

Just my opinion, I'd would leave well enough alone. The differences that you're referring to will not be noticeable at a 3D or in the woods... But heck, play if that's what you want to do

I always play, but never when I find a combination that bare shafts hit the same at any distance that I can hit accurately with fletched arrows.

Have fun Brother!!!

Comment

I gotta agree with Ben. If it aint broke don't fix it as far as I'm concerned. 25 grains isn't going to change enough with 3d to warrant the change IMO. If you were talking 100 grains I would say different. You're happy with your arrows and shooting just a touch over 10 gpp, so that's a good spot to be to me.
      B

Comment

What those guys said. It's just not enough of a change to expect it to produce much of a result. But you'll never know until you try, so what the heck, give it a try and see what, if anything, happens.

Comment

Tuning wise you may have to lengthen your shaft length just a bit, but like said above, 25gr probably is not going to do much for you.

Bisch

Comment

well tried it and with the 25 grain less they seem to fly even better.
            maybe it is because my draw increased a bit..

i think ill try the 50 grain insert. if the 25 grain less will not mak alot of difference in penetration ...

Thanks

Comment

Why would your draw increase? Isn't your draw length a set value if you train and are consistent? I know one can draw further but you'd be past your true draw length.

Comment

i dont know. somehow my draw lenght changed about .5 inch since i started to workout...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  Why would your draw increase? Isn't your draw length a set value if you train and are consistent? I know one can draw further but you'd be past your true draw length.
                  A LOT of people do not engage their back the way they should and never reach their true draw length. After I went to the Rod Jenkins clinic and learned to use back tension better, my DL increased over an inch to what it should have been all along!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                  X