X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Trust Your Conscience?

Can You Trust Your Conscience?

1 Timothy 1:5-7

Let your conscience be your guide. This bit of folk wisdom seems to make sense since our conscience is designed to help us discern right from wrong. However, people cannot always trust their internal radar to steer them correctly; this is the case particularly with unbelievers, who don’t have the Holy Spirit to reveal truth and offer guidance for wise decisions. And while Christians do have God’s indwelling Spirit, they should be careful not to harbor sin in their lives, as that can interfere with the way their morality sensor functions.

A trustworthy conscience is programmed with scriptural teaching. Believers build a stable and sensitive spiritual radar system by applying God’s truth to their lives. They are committed to thinking and acting in ways that honor and please the Lord. Then, when sinful thoughts or choices come across that radar, it will deliver a sharp warning.

A person with a reliable conscience will have a strong desire to obey God. He won’t settle for what feels right or looks good, but instead prayerfully seeks the Lord’s will. In other words, he does not rely solely on his conscience but incorporates all of the Holy Spirit’s tools into his daily life: Scripture, prayer, etc. Moreover, when his spiritual radar sounds the alarm, he is quick to draw back and reject unwise choices.

A conscience isn’t designed to beour guide; it is a tool of theGuide. The Holy Spirit not only convicts us of sin, but He also brings to mind godly principles and leads us on a righteous path. He uses a variety of tools to conform us to the likeness of Christ (Rom. 8:29).
    Dr. Stanly

Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to share.

Comment

Amen Thank you Brother

Comment

Great message

Comment

Thanks bro. Bill

Comment

Amen, thanks brother.

Comment

Up

Comment

That is some very good advice and insight. If there is no objective truth- no external overarching law of right and wrong, then everything on the entire spectrum - from feeding the poor to exterminating the poor is just opinion and personal preference. You like to be honest, I like to steal. You like vanilla, I like chocolate. "Follow your heart" sounds good but many people's heart leads them into a dark hole.

Comment

Thank you bro. Bill, I truly needed that right now. I think that is a message that every person on this earth needs to hear.
                  It's Such a simple concept, and if everyone lived by this principle the world would be a totally different place. Yet we fail to do this so often (including me).

When God is your compass to everything you do in life, you tend to make sound decisions and be much better off in everything. When You don't have that Godly conscious to govern your thoughts and actions......you get America 2015.

I've always said the answer is right here in front of us and it's simple...But we're too blind to see it. If you look at ANYTHING bad you see on the news...Murders, shootings, theft, divorce, adultery, war, hate, racism, ANYTHING...the people who do these things simply don't have God governing their life. Period. Because if they did....they wouldn't be doing those said things. That Doesn't mean Christians don't sin, nor that people can't change, but if their heart is right with God...they wouldn't be doing it. "God is the answer" to everything. He really is. And I needed to be reminded of this. Thank you brother Bill, beautifully written.

Comment

Awesome word sir! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Thank you sir for sharing. I truly needed this. The wife and I are making some huge life decisions right now including careers, schooling, buying a house, and where to buy a house. We know we cannot just "follow our heart" if we aren't giving our hearts to Christ and having him guide us. We know we must keep striving to know Christ more every day and keep our faith planted firmly in him to guide our every decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X