Generator gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator gurus

For you running the small Honda or Yamaha generators what’s your choice of oils? Are full synthetic oils okay ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would. Mobil One is my choice. Keep track of the hours and change oil regularly.

Comment

I run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic for ATV's in my Yamaha generator

Comment

I run the Mobile diesel oil in mine.

Comment

Valvoline 30 weight dino oil. Change it often so no real need for synthetic.

Comment

Any 30W oil. The cheaper the better. Don’t get caught up in the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              Any 30W oil. The cheaper the better. Don’t get caught up in the hype.

I dunno...you run those things 10 hours or so straight... I want good oil in mine.

Comment

Mobil One in mine and change often. Only holds a quart, just lean it over and it pours out, then put a quart back in. Takes about 3 minutes to change oil. Two of those minutes is getting the beer.

Comment

Any oil but a detergent oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    I dunno...you run those things 10 hours or so straight... I want good oil in mine.
                    What exactly is "bad" oil. If it meets the API spec it's good oil. Do you think lawn care guys are running Mobil 1 in their Kawasakis? Heck, I have a Honda pushmower that has been going strong right at 30 years. I bet the oil hasn't been changed 5 or 6 times and it spent 6 summers as a lawn care mower. Just make sure it HAS oil in it.

Nothing wrong with putting high dollar oil in your stuff if it makes you feel better, just don't do it because you think it's going to make things run better or last longer. Oil is one of most overhyped, least understood subjects when it comes to machinery. We drain billions of dollars of good oil out of our vehicles every year because our daddies or a guy on TV told us we had to.

Comment

make sure you match your viscosity to the current temp. I run 30 weight in my Honda's and didn't adjust when I used them in freezing temps, now they both smoke like heck until warmed up and then still smoke some. Oil changed at 48 hrs run time max.

Comment

Working...
                      X