Give me your advice on a 6'x8' CoolBot walk-in cooler build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
    Ours works perfect. I turn ours on when I get to camp and turn it off when we leave. I normally use if for food storage as well, so I run it all weekend. I think it cost an extra $10 in electricity a weekend to run it. We do have a drain in the center of ours to help with cleaning.

We used conventional 2x4 walls and 2x6 ceiling above our cooler room in the skinning shed. The exterior walls are hardy board, then conventional fiberglass insulation, 1/2" foam board that we taped with foil tape on every seam and corner. Then hardy board on the inside with all the seams and corners caulked. Only thing that I would do different and still might is use a walk in cooler door. Right now I just use a conventional exterior metal door. I think we can easily hang 4 deer and that is only using one side of the cooler. 8' ceilings are plenty tall for us. I normally cape the axis bucks out before I hang them or I just gut them and set them up on the floor if they are shot at night and want to get some day time pictures.

The reason I added a winch. We could get this guy up on the ceiling hook. Looked like a murder scene.

I like your winch set up. I'd like to figure out some way to go directly from the skinning rack outside onto a rail into the cooling shed, but I don't know if we'll make that happen or not. Might get too complicated.

Cool droptine on that one buck!

Comment

Give me your advice on a 6'x8' CoolBot walk-in cooler build

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Patton, do you just have windows and a screen door on your cooler shed? And you can get it cold in there?

No. The original shed was previously just screened in. We built a cooler within the shed- now the back half of the original shed is enclosed, and the front half of the original shed is still just screened as you can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Patton; 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

OK, gotcha. That makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Patton, do you just have windows and a screen door on your cooler shed? And you can get it cold in there?
          Not Patton, but it looks like there is a screened area and then another door that gets you into the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            Not Patton, but it looks like there is a screened area and then another door that gets you into the cooler.
            That is correct, two doors.

Comment

Here the link to the one we built.

We didnt use a coolbot as you can achieve the same results for 1/3 price. If you aren't familiar with ACs and electricity then the coolbot is the way to go.

Ours cools down from 95f to 39f in about 3 hours, no shade over it...

Comment

cool bot is awesome - but we foamed the inside of our cooler - huge difference and I highly recommend

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                  Here the link to the one we built.

We didnt use a coolbot as you can achieve the same results for 1/3 price. If you aren't familiar with ACs and electricity then the coolbot is the way to go.

Ours cools down from 95f to 39f in about 3 hours, no shade over it...
                  Nice. Looks like you could use that thing for a bomb shelter too. Solid.

Comment

Make it portable, you never know what the future holds. 7x8-10. 8-9' tall. Use either the rigid foam insulation they sell at Home Depot at least 2" but I would double it to 4" or spray foam. Frp walls and ceiling and plastic floor pan seal everything as you build it with urethane caulk. Don't just caulk it on the outside corners. This will make it last "forever" and keep water from getting in places and rotting it.
                    You can get everything you need from Home Depot except coolbot.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      Make it portable, you never know what the future holds. 7x8-10. 8-9' tall. Use either the rigid foam insulation they sell at Home Depot at least 2" but I would double it to 4" or spray foam. Frp walls and ceiling and plastic floor pan seal everything as you build it with urethane caulk. Don't just caulk it on the outside corners. This will make it last "forever" and keep water from getting in places and rotting it.
                      You can get everything you need from Home Depot except coolbot.
                      yep this is what we did - bought an enclosed trailer a guy had used for his business. Spray foamed it and put coolbot in - works like a charm and we can take it with us if we ever leave

Comment

Another thing I just thought of. Make sure you get the AC that will turn back on if the power goes out. I used the model coolbot suggested, but it will not come back on when the power returns. Mine is Haier.

Comment

tag

Comment

Anyone ever hooked up the coolbot unit to a window unit just to keep their house, trailer, cabin colder?

Comment

guess I need to google what the heck a coolbot is.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                                guess I need to google what the heck a coolbot is.
                                it takes a regular window unit air conditioner and converts it into a steady temperature - it saves on electricity over real refrigeration units -

Comment

Working...
                                X