A/C Help For Master Bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Help For Master Bedroom

Trying to figure the most cost efficient and aesthetically looking way to cool Bedroom at night-we set the thermostat to 68 at night, to cool the bedroom, but that however means the whole downstairs is 68.I am wasting a lot of energy just to get one room cold. I don't want a window unit. I have seen mini splits and cassette units. Curious what others have done?

Mini split AC

Comment

We are looking into this too. We really don't want a mini split on the wall in our bedroom. It just doesn't look good visually.... but I hear they make one that fits up between the trusses and is flush with the ceiling.

They ain't cheap so if your main reason for doing it is so you aren't spending money cooling the rest of the down stairs it may take a long time to recover the cost in energy savings.

Comment

costco has a stand alone floor unit for under 600 bucks. might go that route - hide it in the closet during the day.

Comment

I had a 12"×12" return cut in the ceiling in our bedroom, it works great.

Comment

I was in the same boat. I ended up buying a through-the-wall A/C and putting it directly beneath the window in my bedroom. Leaves the window open and isn't near as noticeable looking at the outside of the house. I keep my bedroom at 60 degrees at night and I love that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              I was in the same boat. I ended up buying a through-the-wall A/C and putting it directly beneath the window in my bedroom. Leaves the window open and isn't near as noticeable looking at the outside of the house. I keep my bedroom at 60 degrees at night and I love that thing.
              60°?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                60°?
                Yes, that's as low as the digital temp control will go on these new units.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  Yes, that's as low as the digital temp control will go on these new units.
                  DANG
                  Anyone sleep in there with you?

Comment

Mini split with the ceiling cassette is probably the way to go, but if your current hvac system is getting close to 10 years old it may be worth just replacing the whole thing. And either getting a zoning system or getting two smaller systems, one for upstairs and the other for downstairs. Samsung has some pretty clean looking mini splits in their lineup, both wall mount and ceiling cassettes.

Comment

If some of the ductwork is accessible install zone dampers. This will allow you to route more air to your master and less to everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        DANG

Anyone sleep in there with you?

My wife does. I bought her a heated mattress pad and she uses it. We have 2 twin xl beds that are adjustable. Pushed together they look like a huge king bed but she’s able to heat her side without bothering me.

Comment

I saw this thing called the Chilli-Pad awhile back that cools your bed down. Looked kind of cool, but somewhat pricey. Be good for people that sleep hot.

Comment

Lots of great info.-Thank you

Comment

Working...
                            X