Fine tuning my arrows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine tuning my arrows.

I was at The range and my arrows were hitting a little knock left.
    I watched a few videos on YouTube that indicated a knock left was a sign the spine was a little weak. That being the case I replaced my 125 gr. practice heads with 100gr heads. That helped quite a bit but I was wondering what I can do other than lowering my BH weight. I'd really like to continue to use my 125's or even 150's.
    If I cut my arrows a little shorter help the spine so I can keep my 125's?

Cutting shaft length will stiffen up the shaft. If it is carbon, only cut small increments at a time.

Bisch

Comment

What Bisch said.

Comment

Wood, carbon, or aluminum? If wood, did you build them?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
          Wood, carbon, or aluminum? If wood, did you build them?
          Carbon's
          I'd like to build some wood arrows one day to go with the bow I hope to build one day as well.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll take a little off to see what happens

Comment

Shortening the shafts would work if you have the shaft leangth to do it.

Comment

When I'm tuning carbon I never take off more than 1/4" at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                Shortening the shafts would work if you have the shaft leangth to do it.
                I typically use full length shafts so I should have an inch or two to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  When I'm tuning carbon I never take off more than 1/4" at a time.
                  Good deal, I'll keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    ....I'd like to build some wood arrows one day to go with the bow I hope to build one day as well....
                    I'm just starting to build wooden arrows, your not too far down the road, maybe we could meet up some day and work on some arrows?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                      I'm just starting to build wooden arrows, your not too far down the road, maybe we could meet up some day and work on some arrows?
                      That would be great..... If I could find some time I could spare.
                      Got 2 jobs, a couple 6-7 year old kids and plenty of honey do's

Where do you buy your bare shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        ......Where do you buy your bare shafts?
                        I have actually bought mine from three different TBHers who didn't need them or was getting out of building arrows. There are three or four different places that I've been looking into buying from.

Comment

1/4 inch is a lot to take off all at once, sometimes a 1/16 of an inch is significant.

This calculator was developed to aid the traditional archer in defining the appropriate arrow setup to match a given bow design.  That formulas are derived primarily from modern deflex/reflex longbow and recurve designs based on actual shooting experience coupled with basic engineering principles. 

Download the dynamic spine calculator and input your arrow and bow setup, should give you an idea were you're at.

Comment

Working...
                          X