Honing Oil substitute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honing Oil substitute?

For the guys that use honing oil on sharpening stones for your broadheads...I did some research and it seems most honing oils are basically rebottled mineral oil. Is anyone using anything in particular on their stones that’s not $5 an ounce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Abu_dude; 10-21-2020, 10:29 PM.

Wd-40

Comment

3&one

Comment

I started using water. The oil builds up a layer of metal and oil into the grit of the stone and it ceases to remove any metal from the blade. I cleaned my stone with naptha and a cloth the day before yesterday. It was remarkably easy to remove that layer of grime. Once it was off I started using the fine side for the broadheads. I could get two finished before the stone was clogged up again with metal. So I cleaned it again. This stone is like new even though I've had it for probably twenty years. It always did such a lousy job using oil that I always grabbed my wetstone instead. I suppose that I should use 3 in 1 or mineral oil but considering my age and how much stone is there, I really prefer using water just to lessen the mess. I'm fairly certain that stone will be around for many years after I'm gone.

Comment

spit

Comment

I picked up a gal of mineral oil from my Veterinarian about 4 years ago for practically nothing still have more than half the jug left

Comment

Another vote for spit. I thought that was the only option as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                spit
                Yep, just spit on it!

Comment

marvel mystery oil

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
                    Yep, just spit on it!

Works on everything....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment