Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder pen question

Actually a couple.

1) how large do you make it? Would 12 panels be enough?

2) would 34" be high enough to keep cows out?

3) what do you do to all fawns in and not hogs?

Planning on making a circle pen with an 8 ft gate

12 panels is plenty. If hogs can't get in, neither can the fawns. Put a strand of barb wire on top of the panels or the cows will push them in and get in. 34" too low. Go at least 39"

Comment

Fawns don’t need in. When they do they will jump in.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        12 panels is plenty. If hogs can't get in, neither can the fawns. Put a strand of barb wire on top of the panels or the cows will push them in and get in. 34" too low. Go at least 39"
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
          Fawns don’t need in. When they do they will jump in.
          Guess that's true

Comment

Our smallest is either 13 or 15 panels. 12 is ok, but bigger is better. We cut them down to "nut height" or "crotch height"...although I still prefer to step on a square first before climbing over .

And an 8' gate is way too small. Just use one of the panels as a gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
              Our smallest is either 13 or 15 panels. 12 is ok, but bigger is better. We cut them down to "nut height" or "crotch height"...although I still prefer to step on a square first before climbing over .

And an 8' gate is way too small. Just use one of the panels as a gate.
              Why is 8 ft to small?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Why is 8 ft to small?
                Pretty tight when backing trailers and such.

We drive a t-post to help support the gate (from cows) about 4' or so from one side. It's not wired to the gate. Leaves about 11'-12' to drive in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  Pretty tight when backing trailers and such.

We drive a t-post to help support the gate (from cows) about 4' or so from one side. It's not wired to the gate. Leaves about 11'-12' to drive in and out.
                  Good thought. I can back a trailer with no issue but dad and brothers not so good.. May get a 10ft gate. Will set cedar post for support .

Comment

You can put in two pairs of t-posts to drop a panel in for a gate, simple to install and use. If you want to make full panel width you'll probably want to wire something to the panel to stiffen.

Comment

The bigger the better. From my experience deer don't like jumping in if it's too small.

I had one that was 8 panels and they just didn't want to go in. Some did but older ones wouldn't. I replaced with barbed wire and within a week they were all in there. And I had the panels up for 8 months or so...they just didn't like them.

Comment

Working...
                      X