A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Can you give us info on when to plant, how much they cost, and recommendations on the permisson trees? heard deer love them
    There are several different types of Japanese persimmons. I would check with your local nursery to find specie that does best in your area. I have Fuju [ sp? ] and one other kind..dont remember name. Definitely different growth characteristics.

We usually plant late winter though you could start now if you want . Beautiful trees. beautiful fruit and not hard to grow. If you have any deer though be sure to protect them with wire cage or tree sleeve.

Comment

Hi Rusty, I'd love to get one of your videos. I pm'd you but not sure it went through. Let me know what you need from me. Thanks for an amazing thread! Andrew

Comment

Well folks it's about time for this thread to come to an end , at least for a while. The trucks are loaded and headed south. I'm turning my attention to the brush country and excited to see what I can find there. It has been a pleasure for me to run this thread thru the year and I appreciate the comments and feedback.

It was a good year on the farm.As always nature is a great teacher and I am filled with ideas of how to improve next year. Life on the farm is a cherished blessing. For now the plots look great, all the critters { wild and domestic } are doing well and I leave feeling good about their winter.

Clearly our deer season was a triumph ! With 2 bucks over 220, 3 over 160 and 3 of which had mass over 44" it was our best season ever. We did good on herd control and even yet will remove a few more females .

If there is any message I would want to convey it is this. If you want to grow bigger bucks the most important thing to focus on is nutrition. Age is easy. Don't shoot them till they are mature. Nutrition is the challenge. I propose that most herds even in the best country could benefit from improved nutrition. Says easy, does hard!

Enjoy the rest of your season

Rusty

Comment

Rusty, this is by far the best and most informative thread I have ever read! Thanks for taking the time to show us your farm and everything you do to make it better!

Comment

It has been a good year! Looking forward to next year's thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
              It has been a good year! Looking forward to next year's thread!
              Yep...great thread Rusty. Looking forward next year. Time to migrate south

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner97 View Post
                Yep...great thread Rusty. Looking forward next year. Time to migrate south
                Southbound and Down!!! Let's Roll!!! I'm sick of all the pine trees around here. It's time for some Mesquite and Cactus. Great Thread Rusty.

Comment

Imo best thread ever. ..

Comment

Great thread. Now we are looking forward to your brush country thread. Hint hint.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Rusty.
                      Good luck in old Mexico.

Comment

Cool thread, congrats on the hard work paying off

Comment

Good luck down south

Comment

I don't know about yall but I'm missing this thread. Hope he does it again next year.

Comment

I'm home for a quick mtg. before heading back to ranch. Ranch hunting has been fun and is totally different than hunting the farm. Lots more bucks, totally different terrain and hunting technique. Did have guest take drop tine buck I posted in earlier picture. I think he was 12 or 13 and will post more detail later. He had no front teeth and not much in the back. Suspect he wouldn't have lived much longer.

Here is a picture of a buck we call goal post taken from farm. Believe him to be at least 8. He scored 159 with 16" spread and weighed 225 even this late in season. When he was 6 he was 170" .This is not the 8 pt from the earlier trail cam picture. We are still trying to figure out the sweet spot for age on these local bucks as I believe it is younger than brush country bucks. We just don't have a big enough statistical sample yet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Frank the Tank!!

Comment

Working...
                                X