Antler Restriction Ethical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Restriction Ethical Question

Big discussion this weekend at the lease over a few beverages.

Good way to learn about the people you hunt with!

At 30 yards or at 100 yards sometimes it can be difficult to judge whether a deer is 13" or 14" inside.

What would you do if you shot a big 8 or 10 pt and it was 12.5" inside?

Would you have him processed and risk being turned in by the processor?
    Call the GW and turn yourself in and pay whatever the fine was?

No one knew what the fine would be ......

Definitely wouldnt take it to a processor. I would keep quiet and do it myself ( as usual ). I know I will take some flack, but not gunna turn myself in.....and i would make dang sure I was more careful about width next time. Flame away

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      Definitely wouldnt take it to a processor. I would keep quiet and do it myself ( as usual ). I know I will take some flack, but not gunna turn myself in.....and i would make dang sure I was more careful about width next time. Flame away
      This I wouldn't intentionally shoot one under but I wouldn't turn myself in either. At the same time, if Mr. Green Jeans was to walk into camp I would would tell him up front. Probably not an issue for me as I'm not gonna shoot one unless he is way beyond any judgement call but I can see where a close call might be made on a young kids first buck.

I don't intentionally speed but if I look down and I am, I don't stop at the next officer I see and tell him I was speeding.

Comment

this is one the game warden going to be monitoring answers!!, I would call the gw and let him know what had happened

Comment

I'd blame the cameraman and then shoot a bigger buck up the ***...

Comment

Call GW and turn self in. I'd rather pay $250 or whatever it comes out to than be caught trying to hide something. I enjoy my right to hunt and don't want to have it taken away.

Comment

IMO I think there is a difference between an old mature deer that is 12.5 wide and a 2 yr old 12 inch wide 8 that the law was written to protect.. Either way you may end up with a ticket unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Call GW and turn self in. I'd rather pay $250 or whatever it comes out to than be caught trying to hide something. I enjoy my right to hunt and don't want to have it taken away.
                What if it's $2,500 instead of $250?

Comment

It's a question of ethics and honesty. I hunt with my kids most times. If I don't do the right things in front of their eyes, what am I teaching them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
                    It's a question of ethics and honesty. I hunt with my kids most times. If I don't do the right things in front of their eyes, what am I teaching them?
                    That dad's not a very good hunter?

justjokes...justjokes...
                    your point is very valid and commendable

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      What if it's $2,500 instead of $250?
                      Don't care. Would you pay $2500 to continue to hunt learning from your mistake or be caught and have that right taken away?

Comment

What if it scored 271"?

Comment

i wouldn't turn myself in; but at the same time i won't have to because i wouldn't take a shot on a deer that there was any doubt about its legality.

Comment

If it's just a half inch shy use a horn spreader and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                              Don't care. Would you pay $2500 to continue to hunt learning from your mistake or be caught and have that right taken away?
                              I would expect the fine & punishment to be the same whether I made the call or if he pulled me over on the way home.

Comment

Working...
                              X