Barndo/metal house question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo/metal house question

I know this topic probably gets asked a lot. But I got a quote for a 60 x 40 metal house @ about 25$ a sqft. That is steel, concrete, erected and insulated. $60,000. If I had a budget of 150k. Would it be realistic to have it finished out for 90k to meet my budget? Already have land, electric, water well, septic, gravel etc. That's just plain jane, nothing fancy. Stained concrete floors and stuff. I know stuff will add up, but 90k seems like it would go a long way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just like this.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by finish it out, and just how good are you with your hands..? Probably not impossible, but if your talking 2400 sqft of living space, then no. Your a/c system alone would eat a good chunk. Carpet, paint, etc...adds up quick.

Comment

Sorry meant 1800sqft living space. 60x 30 living. Already have a porch here. Other would be a 10ft porch running front of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
          Sorry meant 1800sqft living space. Already have a porch here. Other would be a 10ft porch running front of the house.

Are you contracting all the work?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Are you contracting all the work?
            Haven't really made it to that yet. This is just early stages to see if it is doable before getting in too deep. I could be, and I could do a lot of stuff myself. Paint, cabinets etc.

Comment

90k should be plenty to finish it out imo. We spent 150-160 total with the well septic ect included in our barndo.

Comment

Barndo

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                90k should be plenty to finish it out imo. We spent 150-160 total with the well septic ect included in our barndo.
                Who did you use? Looking in the area of Oatmeal currently

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                  You might want to call Mr. Russell Patronela at 5127405636 he is located in Cedar Park
                  Last edited by 10132297; 08-19-2017, 04:33 AM. Reason: Info

Comment

I do plenty of construction loans with local contractors involved and I don't think $50/ft will get a place finished out unless you do as much of the work yourself as possible. If you could stain the floors, hang the Sheetrock, install the cabinets, paint, and do the simple trim work then that might get you there. Typically finish out jobs like this are considerably higher per sq/ft than a ground up build price per sq/ft. Jason Henderson and Six Star Cinstruction both do a lot of metal homes and could probably give you a pretty accurate idea of cost.

Comment

I don't think so....but it all depends on how nice the kitchen and baths are.....the rest is just basic

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                        Ryon Williams great guy and does awesome work. My BIL used Burkett construction for his and turned out very nice as well.

We have granite knotty alder doors cabinets in the entire house stained concrete ect. I think it could be done if your willing to do some work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                          I do plenty of construction loans with local contractors involved and I don't think $50/ft will get a place finished out unless you do as much of the work yourself as possible. If you could stain the floors, hang the Sheetrock, install the cabinets, paint, and do the simple trim work then that might get you there. Typically finish out jobs like this are considerably higher per sq/ft than a ground up build price per sq/ft. Jason Henderson and Six Star Cinstruction both do a lot of metal homes and could probably give you a pretty accurate idea of cost.
                          Thanks Codie, may have to give them a call. The metal building quote I got was from 3D metal fab.

Comment

I know $90k sounds like a lot, but I bet an HVAC system with ductwork will be close to a 5th of your budget. If you can do a lot of the work yourself and shop wisely I think you could do it. If you have to contract everything out, I don't think it will be enough.

Good luck though. Maybe you can get some more building quotes and save a little money there (unless you already have). It sounds like you have a big hurdle cleared already, land with utilities.

Comment

I built a barndo 5 yrs ago now. My building/slab is 30'x92' with 30'x52' 2 bed/2 bath with an office in the living area. Also has a 8'x30' covered porch. The slab, metal building and spray in insulation was $55,000. Slab is 5.5"+ thick has 100 yards of concrete with a lot of beams and steel. Building was welded also. Inside was finished out with 16' center wall height and 12' outside. I had them put 1/2" plywood on all the living area walls also so I could hang shoulder mounts anywhere. I have granite counter tops, stained wood cabinets and a few other small upgrades to the inside. I had an appliance budget also in the final price. Total for the finished build was about $155,000- that did not include the well or septic. It not fancy looking but serves its purpose for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X