300 WSM VS deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
    I know I will get knocked for this but. The faster " magnum" calibers with a bullet that is designed with a softer tip is what was needed in this case. But then if it's to soft it does a lot of damage at shorter distances. They are good for anchoring deer but sometimes not so good if you hit meat. A stronger bullets just zips through if there is not enough resistance. I feel the non magnum rounds 243, 270, and such to do a much better job on deer size game. Again you still need the proper bullet but there are a lot of them that work great at shorter or longer distances.
    I believe this to be right. I killed lots of deer and hogs with a .300 WSM, but with Ballistic Silvertips. Way different than a Barnes in performance. When I used it on elk, I shot Win 180 gr. Power Points. Got to match your bullet to the game.

My APR .280 Rem is all I use these days, with handloads. Fifty-three gr. of R19 behind a 140 gr. Sierra Game King is just about perfect for what I hunt.

Comment

As much as I dislike them for all my other deer rifles, they worked great out of my 300 WSM when I shot that rifle alot. I shot the 150 grain Winchester BallisticTips. Carnage is a understatement. I had to keep all the shots behind the shoulder to salvage all the meat I could. Got a pass through on everything under 250 yds. Not saying that I didn't kill past that, just never had many pass throughs.

Comment

I use the accubonds in my 300 wsm. It does an excellent job in my opinion.

Comment

It's kinda like fishing with artificial's you always " match the hatch". when picking a bullet match the bullet to the game. A bullet built for large thick skinned heavy boned game SOMETIMES doesn't do as well on small thin skinned game. In this situation I would take a heavier grain cup and core bullet over a solid copper any day of the week.

Comment

Have killed lots of deer with 150 go Ballistic Silvertips in my .300 WSM. Blood trailing is usually not an issue

Comment

Well its not the caliber that is the problem. Could possibly be the bullet but I dont know. Shot placement is also a potential cause. Ive killed a lot of animals with a 300 wsm using hornady sst and sierra gameking. I dont think anything has ever taken a step. Neither bullet wasted extra meat imo. Go get some new ammo, check your zero, and get back after it.

It seems like some people are saying bullets are more likely to not expand at close range. I just wanted to mention that the opposite is true. Closer/faster you are the more expansion you will get from the bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Did you check zero after your buddy used it?

At a range? No
                I’ve used it to shoot a pig.
                Has pass through and he dropped and flopped.

Here's a pig I shot with it.
                I was aiming for his ear.
                He was quartering to me more
                Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-23-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I'm not a gun guru but I would get back out and start looking.

Comment

My Dad got queer over the Barnes TTSX bullets and insisted I try them. I wasn't going to spend the money on components when all of my loads work flawlessly so, he loaded up a couple dozen for me to try out. With my 264 WM, I shot a doe at 160 yards. Normally, that is an under-the-jaw shot but for the terminal ballistics test, I shot her in the shoulder. As the rifle recoiled, I saw it impact dirt 60 yards behind the deer and she took off on wobbly legs.

I don't track deer when rifle hunting but I wanted to see this play out. This took place on an old drilling pad so, I watched her run and run and run and run. She had run a total of about 450 yards when she slowed, staggered and fell into a ditch. I commented to my friend how ridiculous that was. He said, "It's worse now. She just took off again." Sure as hell, she was galloping again and slowed to a walk about 470 from the stand. I knew the dope and shot her in the base of the neck. DONE.

The first bullet penetrated both lungs but the exit hole was about the size of a pencil. I suspect it did not expand and poked a small enough hole that the lungs could still function. I never found a drop of blood anywhere. That was my first, last and only deer with a Barnes TTSX. Go with a 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter in your 300 WSM and you'll see stuff go nite-nite fast.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      I'm not a gun guru but I would get back out and start looking.
                      Landowner is wanting to hunt this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        Landowner is wanting to hunt this evening.
                        Not much you can do about that. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                          Well its not the caliber that is the problem. Could possibly be the bullet but I dont know. Shot placement is also a potential cause. Ive killed a lot of animals with a 300 wsm using hornady sst and sierra gameking. I dont think anything has ever taken a step. Neither bullet wasted extra meat imo. Go get some new ammo, check your zero, and get back after it.

It seems like some people are saying bullets are more likely to not expand at close range. I just wanted to mention that the opposite is true. Closer/faster you are the more expansion you will get from the bullet.
                          I have found this to be true only with lead based ballistic tips. Not the copper ones that retain almost 100% of their weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post

Thank GOD I'm not the only one that gets that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              I have found this to be true only with lead based ballistic tips. Not the copper ones that retain almost 100% of their weight.

The Barnes tend to perform better when driven hard and fast. That's why I recommend shooting a light for caliber weight in them. Think about what you are saying, a tougher constructed Bullet only makes sense that they would expand better when driven to higher velocities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've had similar situations with my 270 WSM, to much speed and not enough expansion. If you don't have anything else to shoot, I would try and take high shoulder shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X