Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow or Rifle?

I'm in a predicament....

Season opener is Saturday (I know, you know) but our place just changed. Last year we were MLD II which gave us bow hunters (me and the BIL) the October advantage most bow hunters enjoy.

This year, due to our mgmt program, rifle hunters have full access to start blasting all deer.

Question is: do I take my bow like the old traditional way or take the old smoke stick and hammer one?

I've got a great shooter showing up regularly so I feel I could hit him with lead, take the pressure off the rest of the year and hangout in a tree with a bow.

Then again, it sure would be sweet to take him with a bow.

He is the only deer I would shoot with the rifle.. him or another shooter.

Thoughts?

I'll add: most of the other members will be out this weekend with their rifles.

Comment

Bow

Comment

I still like shooting guns......do what will get it done!

Comment

Can you take both? That way if he doesn't come close enough you could take a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

heck take bow and rifle to the tree , you`ll have all distances covered .

Comment

take both if you can take with biw do it but if he doesn't come in range use rifle

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Take both ... try with your bow first. Maybe you can close the deal , if not break out the smoke pole .

Comment

Both......If he's close enough shoot him with a bow. If he's out there a ways grab the rifle.

I'm a little late on that suggestion.

Comment

Is your goal to get a deer or to enjoy bow hunting? Sometimes it might be more about getting the animal, sometimes it might be more about the hunt.

Comment

Take both..

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        Is your goal to get a deer or to enjoy bow hunting? Sometimes it might be more about getting the animal, sometimes it might be more about the hunt.

I really like the idea about taking both, that never crossed my mind.

I really enjoy bow hunting but I also enjoy getting the deer... in all honesty, the one I'm after isn't likely the same others are after.

He's a big mature 8, nothing too crazy besides his body size, but we have 10s and 12s out there others will be after. Those bucks just aren't for me because they need more age and won't break 140 until next year. He's a true management 8: 5.5+ with a main frame 8 with a huge body and I passed on him last year.

Would be a bad *** bow buck...

Comment

[QUOTE=HoustonHunter;12763870]I really like the idea about taking both, that never crossed my mind.

I really enjoy bow hunting but I also enjoy getting the deer... in all honesty, the one I'm after isn't likely the same others are after.

He's a big mature 8, nothing too crazy besides his body size, but we have 10s and 12s out there others will be after. Those bucks just aren't for me because they need more age and won't break 140 until next year. He's a true management 8: 5.5+ with a main frame 8 with a huge body and I passed on him last year.

Would be a bad *** bow buck...[/QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question.

Comment

Stick with the bow at least for this weekend. It'll be that much more rewarding when you stick him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo 7777 View Post
                              Take both..
                              ^^^^this!! lol it's been so long since I've seen anything over 130 inches To shoot at I would take both to increase my chances.

Comment

Working...
                              X