First welding project - table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First welding project - table

Long story short, I bought a mig welder a few months ago as a new hobby. I decided to make my first "real" project a table I could use for other projects. I used 3/16" for the top and 1-1/4" sq tubing for the rest of it. I used the 3/16" both for weight purposes and because I won't be doing any real heavy duty projects in my garage. We'll see how it works out. At some point I want to paint the leg/"body" of the table but I'm waiting to see what else I want to add on before I do. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a pretty dumb/rookie question. When making the table, I sanded off the black "film" from every joint I was going to weld. I'm assuming this is a film the yard puts on to protect the metal from rusting. Other projects I've seen don't seem to remove this film. Was I right in doing this or is it a step I can cut out? It added a lot of time to the project. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1466388666.136541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	25089363

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good

Comment

I never worried about the film for welding, but a gasoline rag will make it ready for painting.

Comment

Did u frame the under side of the plate? If not, I would. But looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
          Did u frame the under side of the plate? If not, I would. But looks good.

Yes I did. This pic should show you how I went about it Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1466395058.390101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24448822

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I never worried about the film for welding, but a gasoline rag will make it ready for painting.

Good to know

Comment

Hey, pretty good for a first light weight table.

As to the film, Don't worry about it. Just make sure the metal is free of oil, paint, or other contaminates. As long as your not getting a bunch of pin holes in the weld, your doing good. Pin holes are usually caused by impurities/contaminates, or lack of welding gas coverage.

Course it never hurts to wire brush or sand each joint before welding either.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-19-2016, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Something I added to my table was a whole ton of bent rebar in "L" shapes to hang grinders and tools from. I just flipped it upside down and welded them every 6-8 inches. They are set back a few inches from the edge so that things are out of the way and secure. Oh, and I tacked in 6, 1.5 inch tubes along one end in a honeycomb shape to use for rod storage. I keep brazing rod in them and it saves a ton of space/time.

Comment

Looks good. I would definitely mount a vise on that table. Bolt it to a corner or make it removable with square tubing.

Comment

Turned out pretty dang good, especially for your first project. You will use that thing forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post

Also, I have a pretty dumb/rookie question. When making the table, I sanded off the black "film" from every joint I was going to weld. I'm assuming this is a film the yard puts on to protect the metal from rusting. Other projects I've seen don't seem to remove this film. Was I right in doing this or is it a step I can cut out? It added a lot of time to the project.

For MIG welding your backyard projects the film will be fine. I personally use a sanding disc myself, but it is extra time. If you were welding something more important structurally, you would have to get rid of those impurities.
                      As far as using a gasoline rag? That works fine for cleaning dust, grease, etc. Just please make sure all of the gasoline has evaporated before you start welding. I prefer to use acetone or other quick evaporating cleaner. Use a lint free cloth.
                      Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Hey, pretty good for a first light weight table.

As to the film, Don't worry about it. Just make sure the metal is free of oil, paint, or other contaminates. As long as your not getting a bunch of pin holes in the weld, your doing good. Pin holes are usually caused by impurities/contaminates, or lack of welding gas coverage.

Course it never hurts to wire brush or sand each joint before welding either.
                        Good to know!

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                        Something I added to my table was a whole ton of bent rebar in "L" shapes to hang grinders and tools from. I just flipped it upside down and welded them every 6-8 inches. They are set back a few inches from the edge so that things are out of the way and secure. Oh, and I tacked in 6, 1.5 inch tubes along one end in a honeycomb shape to use for rod storage. I keep brazing rod in them and it saves a ton of space/time.
                        I have a bunch of horseshoes I was planning on cutting in half and tacking on for this purpose. Just waiting to get a little use out of the table first so I'll know where I want 'em. Luckily this machine is mig so I won't have to worry about rods.

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        Looks good. I would definitely mount a vise on that table. Bolt it to a corner or make it removable with square tubing.
                        This is already in the works...I just can't decide if I want to weld a bracket underneath so it can be removable, similar to a receiver hitch, or if I want to put it directly on the table top.

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                        Turned out pretty dang good, especially for your first project. You will use that thing forever.
                        Thanks! That's the plan.

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                        For MIG welding your backyard projects the film will be fine. I personally use a sanding disc myself, but it is extra time. If you were welding something more important structurally, you would have to get rid of those impurities.
                        As far as using a gasoline rag? That works fine for cleaning dust, grease, etc. Just please make sure all of the gasoline has evaporated before you start welding. I prefer to use acetone or other quick evaporating cleaner. Use a lint free cloth.
                        Good luck.
                        Good to know. I'll play with it a little bit and find out for myself. If it's anything really important, I'll still sand it off.

Comment

If you are storing the tubing inside I would strongly suggest the first thing you do is remove the oily substance from it right away. I use gas and it works just fine.

Doing this will keep your hands along with clothing and gloves a lot cleaner. Marking it with either soapstone, pencil or sharpie is easier when the metal is clean. It's definitely worth the effort.

Comment

Nice Table. The only thing I would add is weld a piece of 3" angle iron on one end and some hooks. We put the angle iron on all of our tables so we have a place to put all of our pipe when we cut so its not rolling on top of table

Comment

Rather than painting it, powder coat it and be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X